• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCMominVA

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been divorced since 1998. Ex husband was ordered to pay certain debts we had.

Flash forward, I am remarried now. Today, I got a letter in the mail in my formerly married name. I open it up and its from a Law Office in regards to one of the debts that my ex was ordered to pay.

Initially the divorce document, dated Feb 1998 lists this creditor and the amount of $1500. The letter I received today lists the balance of $3458.38 (probably fees and interest in the last almost 10 years I imagine) stating that they are willing to settle for a lump sum payment.

My credit was completely destroyed after my divorce, because of all these debts that he was to pay on but didn't.

I don't intend on paying this debt, but should I call them? Thanks in advance!

Kanchazi

If there has been no payments made on this debt since 1998 it is way past the SOL. Which means debt cannot be enforced thru the courts. Notify them of this there are plenty of sample letters on the internet. Most important dont speak to them on the phone at all.
If you agree to the debt they might be able to start the SOL again.

CCMominVA

Great!

Thank you so much! I just typed up the sample letter with my edits and will be mailing it off first thing Monday. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">