• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce decree confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SouthernBelle_64

I reside in the state of mississippi. I was divorced may 9, 1999 (court notorized). In divorce decree it is worded ,"each party (wife and husband) shall maintain all presently existing life insurance policies on their life with the minor child named as the beneficiary thereon until the child attains the age of twenty-one years or is otherwise emancipated." we had one child who is now 7. kicker here is ex-husband died may 18, 1999 (12 days after decree) and existing life insurance policies at that time listed his mother and father as beneficiaries. The judge ordered this decree but there is no listing of what existing policies were at this time. I know for fact there is one policy for $100,000 and a possible second policy of $250,000 which doubles due to accidental death. unless i can do anything about it these policies will be paid to my ex inlaws and my child gets ziltch...and divorce decree is worthless...HELP!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">