• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decrees & Utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. H

My ex-wife & I divorced nearly 8 years ago. I accepted responsibility to pay for wireless service in the decree. It had no expiration. The account was under contract at the time. When it expired I was told I was no longer responsible because the wireless company is 3rd party. As a friend, I paid for two more phones and 4 more years worth of service. Her line is now no longer under contract and I am needing to let go of the line because I am moving on with my life and I am moving out of state for a new job promotion. This account is under my name and social. Am I legally responsible for what is considered a non-necessity and a utility???

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex-wife & I divorced nearly 8 years ago. I accepted responsibility to pay for wireless service in the decree. It had no expiration. The account was under contract at the time. When it expired I was told I was no longer responsible because the wireless company is 3rd party. As a friend, I paid for two more phones and 4 more years worth of service. Her line is now no longer under contract and I am needing to let go of the line because I am moving on with my life and I am moving out of state for a new job promotion. This account is under my name and social. Am I legally responsible for what is considered a non-necessity and a utility???
What does the divorce decree state word for word (without names) regarding the wireless service?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">