• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce follow up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ontguy

What is the name of your state? CA.
Divorce was orignally filed in Portland,Oregon about 7 years ago. I have fullfilled my child support obligation when our son turned 18 last July.
However, about a year ago I moved to California. My question = Is there any (paperwork) I need to follow up with (if so in which State?) (other than checking to see if the son will attend school per ORS statutes) since all obligations have been met? Thanks a bunch!

LdiJ

ontguy said:
What is the name of your state? CA.
Divorce was orignally filed in Portland,Oregon about 7 years ago. I have fullfilled my child support obligation when our son turned 18 last July.
However, about a year ago I moved to California. My question = Is there any (paperwork) I need to follow up with (if so in which State?) (other than checking to see if the son will attend school per ORS statutes) since all obligations have been met? Thanks a bunch!
If your son has not yet graduated from high school, you may not have fullfilled your obligation.

The main thing that you need to research, is whether or not you need to file to terminate your child support obligation.....particularly if you have been ordered to pay through the CSE. A few states are really good about stopping the support orders automatically...but in many its necessary for the paying parent to file to terminate the order. You don't want to have any arrearages building up that you are unaware of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">