• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, inheritance property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Helpplease11111

california. I'm getting a divorce from my husband. During our marriage he inherited an apartment building from his mom. i was wondering if their is a way to get a portion of what it's worth.

california. I'm getting a divorce from my husband. During our marriage he inherited an apartment building from his mom. i was wondering if their is a way to get a portion of what it's worth.
My...what greedy hands we have....
Property one spouse owned alone before the marriage, or acquired by gift or inheritance during the marriage, is that spouse's separate property, unless shared assets were co mingled into that property. But I'm not the expert.
Welcome to the freeadvice forum.

Last edited:

LdiJ

You might be entitled to any equity in the property that has accrued since he inherited it, but that would be all...and that would be possible only if he used marital assets to maintain/support the property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You might be entitled to any equity in the property that has accrued since he inherited it, but that would be all...and that would be possible only if he used marital assets to maintain/support the property.
I just want to highlight that part of the statement because it's very important.

For example, if the spouse had inherited an apartment building and only used income from the apartment building to pay the bills related to the apartment building, then none of the value of the apartment building would be available to the spouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">