• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmchuen

What is the name of your state? CO
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help. I have been divorced for 3 years now and finally got all my child support paid through wage garnishment, but I still have other money that he is obligated by the judge to pay, Credit cards and half retirement that he cashed in right before the divorce was final. I took him to court but he never showed up and took a bench warrant out for him but he moved to OK and never came back to have it served. I was told they never go away but how do I get my money that he owes me. It's over $10,000 and I don't have money for a lawyer. Can I go to OK and file against him there so they can keep garnishing his wages to pay me. Child support only goes after child support not debt. Any advise helps Thank you.

adjusterjack

Assuming that all of his obligations were specified in your divorce decree you should be able to domesticate it OK and enforce it through the courts there. Your divorce decree is the equivalent of a judgment.

Read the statutes 12-719 through 12-729.

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2017/title-12/

I suggest you consult a lawyer in the city where your ex lives.

I don't have money for a lawyer.
Oh well. Try legal aid in his city. Or figure out how to do it yourself. The local court there might have online forms and instructions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">