• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce paper says ex owes half of debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As you were told above, YOU are responsible to the credit card company for the entire amount. The credit card company is not involved with your divorce action. Your ex needs to pay you the half that he was ordered. There is nothing to communicate to the collector because YOU are 100% responsible for amount owed to them. Your ex is responsible to you.

quincy

If your ex is paying you half of the amount being collected on the judgment (albeit by paying half of the amount being garnished from your wages), it could be said that, technically, he is meeting the terms of the court order.

That said, if you want to stop the garnishment, you can pay off the judgment (making sure the "satisfaction of judgment" is entered with the court) and then take your ex to court for contempt of court, seeking reimbursement for his half of the debt.

You can try to negotiate a lower payoff amount with the judgment creditor but the creditor does not have to agree to a lower amount.

I am afraid you married (and divorced) someone who is not very honorable. It could be difficult to get him to pay what he owes, regardless of what you do.

mommacita

I would also like to add that this garnishment is a detriment to my well being and is causing me emotional harm due to being unable to move on with my life and provide a home for myself and our youngest son (who still lives with me) Unless you all know of a lending company that will loan me money to buy a house with it on there. Otherwise I am being held hostage by my ex-husband. A position I no longer want to be in. He was verbally abusive and controlling when we were married, I do not want to deal with him any longer than necessary to settle this issue.

Zigner

I would also like to add that this garnishment is a detriment to my well being and is causing me emotional harm due to being unable to move on with my life and provide a home for myself and our youngest son (who still lives with me) Unless you all know of a lending company that will loan me money to buy a house with it on there. Otherwise I am being held hostage by my ex-husband. A position I no longer want to be in. He was verbally abusive and controlling when we were married, I do not want to deal with him any longer than necessary to settle this issue.
Please don't hyperbolize the matter.

quincy

Your best option then may be to pay the judgment in full and move on.

mommacita

As you were told above, YOU are responsible to the credit card company for the entire amount. The credit card company is not involved with your divorce action. Your ex needs to pay you the half that he was ordered. There is nothing to communicate to the collector because YOU are 100% responsible for amount owed to them. Your ex is responsible to you.
What do I do when my ex is not responding and does not want to communicate with me about paying this debt? What do I do when he refuses to discuss his "payment" to me? Who decided that half the garnishment was sufficient to satisfy the court order?

quincy

What do I do when my ex is not responding and does not want to communicate with me about paying this debt? What do I do when he refuses to discuss his "payment" to me? Who decided that half the garnishment was sufficient to satisfy the court order?
You can file for contempt.

Zigner

As has been pointed out multiple times, you can go back to the court that issued your order and file a motion for contempt. One possible outcome is that your ex will be allowed to set up a payment arrangement with you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your best option then may be to pay the judgment in full and move on.
I think her best option is to take him to court and file a motion for contempt: he has not paid the 1/2 of the court ordered debt to her.

He can be put on a payment plan based on the debt he owes her and his income, not the debt that she owes, and not based on her garnishment.

There is no reason why her ex-husband should know about her income and her garnishment. It's none of his flippin' %^$ business. Her having to show pay stubs. etc., to her ex is just another way for her ex to keep tabs on her and exert control over her life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">