• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pesadilla

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My parents just moved to Pennsylvania about 3 months ago. My father had an affair and now my mother wants to divorce him. HER lawyer says to change the locks and kick him out of the house. HIS lawyer says that this is a state where properties are jointly owned and she has no right to do that until at LEAST the divorce papers are served. They cannot file for divorce until they are residents here (which both lawyers agree is living here for 6 months).
She changed the locks already and kicked him out.

All their kids are grown up
The mother and father have been married for about 23 years

The ultimate question right now is?
Asside from the 'moral' answer of "He did her wrong so why should he stay" or "Why would he WANT to stay"... Does the mother have the legal right to kick the father out of the house?

Last edited:

LdiJ

pesadilla said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My parents just moved to Pennsylvania about 3 months ago. My father had an affair and now my mother wants to divorce him. HER lawyer says to change the locks and kick him out of the house. HIS lawyer says that this is a state where properties are jointly owned and she has no right to do that until at LEAST the divorce papers are served. They cannot file for divorce until they are residents here (which both lawyers agree is living here for 6 months).
She changed the locks already and kicked him out.

All their kids are grown up
The mother and father have been married for about 23 years

The ultimate question right now is?
Does the mother have the legal right to kick the father out of the house?
Probably not....but why would he want to stay under the circumstances? Their children are all grown so the kids aren't a reason to stay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">