• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexanade

Good evening , my soon to be exwife started a divorce back in september, im in california she moved to AZ, i have some questions about this
for start the whole thing is "stay with your own things" nothing is being "splitted" we agreed to keep whats ours . money, assets etc. no kids or anything .
now she informed about 2 things , one her lawyer required my financial information to add it to the paperwork to finalize and state that we keep was ours....this raised some eyebrows and made me think if this is correct procedure for something that's supposed to be already stated in the document, why they need my financial information? is this normal? required?

Second she informed me about the "response" part, to my surprise the response had to be submitted in 20 days,which already passed, what are the steps from here? she and her lawyer failed to inform me about such thing and the document doesn't state anything about a "response".
is something going on behind my back about this whole process?
and if is normal should i leave it like that ? or there's something i need to do?

thank you

Regards.-
state?

LdiJ

Good evening , my soon to be exwife started a divorce back in september, im in california she moved to AZ, i have some questions about this
for start the whole thing is "stay with your own things" nothing is being "splitted" we agreed to keep whats ours . money, assets etc. no kids or anything .
now she informed about 2 things , one her lawyer required my financial information to add it to the paperwork to finalize and state that we keep was ours....this raised some eyebrows and made me think if this is correct procedure for something that's supposed to be already stated in the document, why they need my financial information? is this normal? required?

Second she informed me about the "response" part, to my surprise the response had to be submitted in 20 days,which already passed, what are the steps from here? she and her lawyer failed to inform me about such thing and the document doesn't state anything about a "response".
and if is normal should i leave it like that ? or there's something i need to do?

thank you

Regards.-
state?
If she has an attorney, it is a mistake for you to not have one as well. I suggest that you consult an attorney in the jurisdiction where the divorce has been filed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you were served, then instructions regarding a response ("answer") were included.

Often, court rules and/or state law require the financial disclosures.

EDIT: Oh, and I second @LdiJ's advice about consulting with an attorney.

adjusterjack

the whole thing is "stay with your own things" nothing is being "splitted" we agreed to keep whats ours . money, assets etc. no kids or anything .
CA is a community property state. If your assets and income are greater than hers, you are in for an unpleasant surprise.

her lawyer
Her lawyer? Yikes. BOHICA.

required my financial information
Financial statements are required by the divorce process. There might not be an ulterior motive, but I wouldn't count on it.

she informed me about the "response" part
"She" informed you. Why didn't her lawyer inform you? That's why lawyers are called "mouthpieces." The speak for the client.

Anyway, when you were served the summons and complaint, the summons had instructions for responding.

If you had agreed on everything, you could have filed a joint petition and accelerated the process.

I sense a disturbance in the Force.

Better raise your shields and arm the photon torpedoes.

Meaning get your own lawyer.

zddoodah

Good evening , my soon to be exwife started a divorce back in september, im in california she moved to AZ
Assuming "started a divorce" means that she filed a divorce action with the court, is the case filed in California or Arizona? Based on your reference to a 20-day response, I assume it's in Arizona. If she hasn't filed anything, then what does "started a divorce" mean?

the whole thing is "stay with your own things" nothing is being "splitted" we agreed to keep whats ours .
What does "whats [sic] ours" mean? Also, has this agreement been reduced to writing?

why they need my financial information? is this normal? required?
Yes (at least in California, and I'd be quite surprised if financial disclosures aren't required in every state).

Second she informed me about the "response" part, to my surprise the response had to be submitted in 20 days,which already passed, what are the steps from here?
A divorce action begins with the filing of a petition or complaint. The other party then files a response or answer. The steps after that depend on innumerable factors.

she and her lawyer failed to inform me about such thing
Neither she nor her lawyer is responsible for educating you about divorce procedures.

and the document doesn't state anything about a "response"
What document? If your case is pending in Arizona, you should have been served with, among other things, this summons, which quite clearly says that you have to file a response/answer within 20 days after the date of service. If you weren't served with the summons, then you haven't been properly served.

We have no possible way of knowing.

or there's something i need to do?
Yes. Retain the services of - or at least consult with - a divorce attorney in the area where the case is pending.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What document? If your case is pending in Arizona, you should have been served with, among other things, this summons, which quite clearly says that you have to file a response/answer within 20 days after the date of service. If you weren't served with the summons, then you haven't been properly served.
Minor correction/clarification to the above. According to the summons form that you linked, if the OP was served outside the state of AZ, then 30 calendar days are allowed for the response/answer.

If this “Summons” and the other court papers were served on you by a registered process server or the Sheriff, within the State of Arizona, your “Response” or “Answer” must be filed within TWENTY (20) CALENDAR DAYS from the date you were served, not counting the day you were served. If this “Summons” and the other papers were served on you by a registered process server or the Sheriff outside the State of Arizona, your Response must be filed within THIRTY (30) CALENDAR DAYS from the date you were served, not counting the day you were served. Service by a registered process server or the Sheriff is complete when made. Service by Publication is complete thirty (30) days after the date of the first publication.
(emphasis added)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">