• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce service verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA (divorce) and NJ (restraining order)

I have had a restraining against my husband for over 15 years. Because of this, I have not kept track of his whereabouts. I am filing for divorce (yes - finally) and the part of serving him will have to be via certified mail. How would I go about verifying if he is still at what I believe is his current address with a restraining order in place? I no longer have a copy of it, but I do believe it stated that there was no third party contact allowed, so I don't think I can have someone check for me. He has never violated the order, so when I moved from NJ to PA last year, I did not worry about having it transferred. So technically I am not sure how valid it even is - but that is a whole separate matter.

If this should be in domestic topic, I apologize - wasn't sure which to post in - as it involves both.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? PA (divorce) and NJ (restraining order)

I have had a restraining against my husband for over 15 years. Because of this, I have not kept track of his whereabouts. I am filing for divorce (yes - finally) and the part of serving him will have to be via certified mail. How would I go about verifying if he is still at what I believe is his current address with a restraining order in place? I no longer have a copy of it, but I do believe it stated that there was no third party contact allowed, so I don't think I can have someone check for me. He has never violated the order, so when I moved from NJ to PA last year, I did not worry about having it transferred. So technically I am not sure how valid it even is - but that is a whole separate matter.

If this should be in domestic topic, I apologize - wasn't sure which to post in - as it involves both.
Per your posting history you are the step-parent to your husbands children...please explain. Also you have been very critical of the volunteers of this site...why should they assist you?

If "critical" is in reference to my statement on some of the comments from volunteers being rude, bullying or attacking... It is the truth, some are. Like now. If you didn't want to help - you can skip over it. Instead you decide to comment on my opinions of how some get treated on here. And I am not the only one who feels that way - as per responses on that thread and private messages received. The other issue with the child, has nothing to do with my question. I actually hesitated for DAYS on even doing this post, because of expecting these types of responses (except Zigner and xylene - Thank you, wish I could pay for a real lawyer, but I can not.) but gave it another shot.

Hire a professional process server to serve him at the last known address.
Thank you. If he is no longer there, will they locate him or do I search some other way (altho not sure of where else to look if he is not. None of his family knows)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If he is no longer there, will they locate him...
A process server is not a private investigator, i.e. they won't search for someone. Their job is to serve documents that require personal service.

You can try any of the online services available (Spokeo, Intellius, etc). Some information is free and some requires that you pay a modest fee. You may have to shell out 5 or 10 dollars to get the information but it is probably available.

I'm not advocating the use of any particular service, I just mentioned two that I am aware of.

LdiJ

Thank you. If he is no longer there, will they locate him or do I search some other way (altho not sure of where else to look if he is not. None of his family knows)
Service by publication is possible if he simply cannot be found. However, it would be much easier for you to do this if you had an attorney.

Do you have any contact information for any of his family?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">