• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce settlement agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike74

California

So earlier this year, in May, the wife and I agreed to no contest divorce and had an attorney draft divorce settlement agreement. We sent the initial paperwork to court and started the process but never sent the divorce settlement agreement. We decided to give another chance in June and got back together. However, things are not working out and I want to proceed to with the divorce. Can I simply have original and notarized divorced settlement agreement sent to the court and continue the process? A general question is how long is this agreement valid for? Can I wait a year or two and still hold her to the conditions that she signed in 2019? Thanks

quincy

California

So earlier this year, in May, the wife and I agreed to no contest divorce and had an attorney draft divorce settlement agreement. We sent the initial paperwork to court and started the process but never sent the divorce settlement agreement. We decided to give another chance in June and got back together. However, things are not working out and I want to proceed to with the divorce. Can I simply have original and notarized divorced settlement agreement sent to the court and continue the process? A general question is how long is this agreement valid for? Can I wait a year or two and still hold her to the conditions that she signed in 2019? Thanks
No. When you got back together, the former agreement was no longer valid. Start over.

mike74

Neither of us agreed to cancel the agreement and as far as I know, there is an open case with case number in court, its continuation pending the receipt of the divorce settlement agreement. I understand not waiting 2-3 years but it's been only six months since we agreed to divorce.

quincy

Neither of us agreed to cancel the agreement and as far as I know, there is an open case with case number in court, its continuation pending the receipt of the divorce settlement agreement. I understand not waiting 2-3 years but it's been only six months since we agreed to divorce.
Do you and your wife still agree to all that you agreed to before - or have circumstances now changed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">