• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce w/ minor children, but my rights were terminated on the child in question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How did you give your cousin permission if your husband has not? He also has to consent. Until a court terminated both parents' rights, you are still the parent. He is the legal father. He can get custody and you can end up paying child support. You don't get to dictate adoption.

Laci...Stop posting your personal information. The 3 posts where you posted the link to your court papers with un-redacted identifying information has been reported, after Admin edits out the links those postings will be returned to your thread.
I do apologize I didn't know that was an issue I was just trying to show what it meant when I said divorce with minor children

Did a court terminate your rights or have you just signed the paperwork but it hasn't been processed? As you describe your situation, the adoption hasn't been finalized and therefore you still have your rights. Just signing the TPR paperwork doesn't terminate your rights...it had to be signed off by a judge.
That's what I'm saying my adoption papers have been signed and the judge has already signed off on my half of the adoption

That's the problem. You're way ahead of yourself. Your rights haven't been terminated until the child is adopted. The child is not adopted until the father signs the adoption papers. And even then nobody loses any parental rights until the judge makes it a court order.

If you want to proceed with the divorce now, it's a divorce with minor children. Since it's going to take months for the divorce anyway, there is plenty of time to amend the complaint when the adoption is final.
That's the thing though we have no way to find out where the father is because he's in hiding he just got out of rehab after 18 months but he's telling one person that he's in Missouri and the next person 5 minutes later that he's on the borderline of Texas in Jay Oklahoma.

How did you give your cousin permission if your husband has not? He also has to consent. Until a court terminated both parents' rights, you are still the parent. He is the legal father. He can get custody and you can end up paying child support. You don't get to dictate adoption.
because originally it was an agreement that we were both supposed to just do a willing adoption but after she was born and I signed my papers he refused to give an address where he could have the paper sent back to him to be signed and notarized and sent back and he's playing some sort of control card I don't know

And also no he cannot get custody, because he has been "black flagged" by Oklahoma DHS in regards to our older son

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And also no he cannot get custody, because he has been "black flagged" by Oklahoma DHS in regards to our older son
He is the child's legal parent. YES, he can have custody because quite frankly, he has constitutional rights to parent HIS child. DHS would have prove he is unsuitable to have this child.

He is the child's legal parent. YES, he can have custody because quite frankly, he has constitutional rights to parent HIS child. DHS would have prove he is unsuitable to have this child.
That's just it when I was pregnant with the youngest child, DHS has already proven that he is unsuitable to be a parent that is why his rights were forcefully terminated on our older child before the younger one was born

Originally before I went to have her he had agreed that once she was born he would sign the papers then now he's been running not telling anybody where he's at or where he can be reached at or where he can be served at because he doesn't want to do it now

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's just it when I was pregnant with the youngest child, DHS has already proven that he is unsuitable to be a parent that is why his rights were forcefully terminated on our older child before the younger one was born
That does not matter. They need to prove he is unsuitable to this child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Originally before I went to have her he had agreed that once she was born he would sign the papers then now he's been running not telling anybody where he's at or where he can be reached at or where he can be served at because he doesn't want to do it now
He doesn't have to agree. He has a right to parent this child .. you chose to HAVE ANOTHER CHILD WITH HIM even though he was what you considered unsuitable. That doesn't mean he doesn't have rights. And if he still has rights, YOU still have rights. He can get custody, and you can end up paying him child support. This is what I do for a living.

Just Blue

Were your rights terminated on the eldest child as well? Why was DHS involved? What was the reason he was found to be "unsuitable" ? Was there a case plan that dad didn't follow? Were the police involved?

Instead of posting relevant information by piecemeal, please post what happened to create the current situation. Having the whole story will make it easier to advise you on how to solve the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">