• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce with kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pickis15

What is the name of your state? Washington
We just submitted the divorce a few weeks ago. We have 2 kids together. He is not talking to me in person just over text. He told me over text I have to move out my the end of the month. If I don’t he will call the police, he said he has the right to kick me out since he has always paid for the rent and bills. He told me I can’t take the girls until I have a place to stay. If I leave the house do I loose my right as a parent? What can I do?

Just Blue

We just submitted the divorce a few weeks ago. We have 2 kids together. He is not talking to me in person just over text. He told me over text I have to move out my the end of the month. If I don’t he will call the police, he said he has the right to kick me out since he has always paid for the rent and bills. He told me I can’t take the girls until I have a place to stay. If I leave the house do I loose my right as a parent? What can I do?
He can not kick you out of the marital home. Until the courts/mediator decide who will get the home you may stay there. He can as well. If it were me I would find another apt in the same area so that the kids can continue at their school.

LdiJ

Literally everything that he has said to you is a lie. I would recommend that if at all possible you get yourself a consult with an attorney, because seriously, he is lying through his teeth.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No, he can't kick you out of the marital home. I'd stay put until you have temporary orders.
Or at least, don't leave without the kids if you've been the primary caregiver and wish to continue to be.

If you move out of the house without the children, your parental rights will not be terminated.

However, if you move out of the house without the children, when it comes to determining physical/residential custody, the status quo of them living with the other parent will be taken into consideration. It makes it more likely that your husband will be awarded physical custody, and you will have visitation.

This sounds like an emotionally abusive relationship. Please look up domestic violence resources in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">