• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cwia

What is the name of your state? florida

in process of divorce, husband is going on trial for pulling gun on me, beating me up, and he is also being tried by same state attorney for the violations of restraining order.

his attorney has mailed me letters and also sent me divorce settlement papers stating, as a condition of reaching a settlement, that i will drop all charges and also not allow anyone connected to the charges (there were witnesses) continue to pursue the criminal charges. the state atty says it does not matter and he can say anything he wants to, and i just don't have to sign it.

is he allowed to do this?

D

dadrummer

I'm not sure how it is in Fla. but in Ms. if there are signs of physical abuse the abuser is automatically arrested and charged without the person being abused having to press charges. Therefore the person that was abused does not have the authority to drop those charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">