• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland
i am a us citizen and my wife is not, she lives overseas and she has no green card. we were married in maryland six months ago. i want to get a divorce. i want to protect my house and money(which is in my name)
Last edited:


Senior Member
Did you start the green card process at all? If so, then cancel it. The Affadavit of Support can be pesky.
Once you've done that, the house and money will be handled like anything else. She will be entitled to 1/2 of marital equity. Money that you had before the marriage (assuming you can prove it) is not marital. So she'd be entitled to 1/2 the increase in value of the home during the marriage (probably minimal) plus 1/2 the increase in value of assets during the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential