• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
OP, this forum doesn't use a live chat program - the posters will respond in good time. Could you please try to put your comments and answers in the same post going forward? That'd really help us help you more :)

quincy

OP, this forum doesn't use a live chat program - the posters will respond in good time. Could you please try to put your comments and answers in the same post going forward? That'd really help us help you more :)
The series of posts by Curenton within a very short period of time at least serve to show how desperate Curenton is to find answers. A divorce after 22 years of marriage has no doubt shaken up her world.

As forum threads go, though, Curenton received fairly rapid responses. I am always impressed by how quickly answers are provided to posters. The forum members on this site deserve pats on the back (and pay raises:)).

PayrollHRGuy

I beleive that question has been answered a few times in this thread but I don't mind repeating it.

Get a lawyer and go to court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm curious - did you know about the divorce and just not know the date of the hearing?
Perhaps the OP missed this question...

Curenton: Were you served with papers and just didn't realize that the hearing was on that day?

OR, were you totally unaware of the divorce?

quincy

Totally unaware of it
When you hire an attorney, the attorney will ask you questions. You should be prepared to answer them.

If you are looking for your ex-husband to pay alimony, you will need to support the request with good evidence as to why you are unable to support yourself. As Ohiogal (a family law attorney) has noted, alimony is NOT guaranteed and courts across the country are reluctant to order it. When ordered, it is generally for a few years only so the ex-spouse has time to find a job.

Please get an attorney to assist you now. You need personal advice and direction and a legal forum cannot provide that.

Zigner

... and what does this thread have to do with legal ethics and lawyer malpractice? :)
If the other party had an attorney and was aware of falsified service, it could lead to ethical concerns I suppose. It could also be considered malpractice (but not in so far as the OP is concerned)

quincy

If the other party had an attorney and was aware of falsified service, it could lead to ethical concerns I suppose. It could also be considered malpractice (but not in so far as the OP is concerned)
Right. But the questions I asked earlier about attorney involvement have been ignored by Curenton - as have most of the questions asked of Curenton by the forum members.

The bottom line is that Curenton will want an attorney in her area to assist her. I don't see that her responses here are leading us anywhere helpful.

Zigner

Right. But the questions I asked earlier about attorney involvement have been ignored by Curenton - as have most of the questions asked of Curenton by the forum members.

The bottom line is that Curenton will want an attorney in her area to assist her. I don't see that her responses here are leading us anywhere helpful.
I definitely agree with you. Even if her responses were more on-point, her matter really needs the assistance of an attorney.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I definitely agree with you. Even if her responses were more on-point, her matter really needs the assistance of an attorney.
That's the scary part. She is so scattered... She might have a point, legally, but a lawyer would need to be saintly patient with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">