• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spigelm

I live in pennsylvania and would like to file for divorce, i have only been married for 9 months before i left, i have now been seperated from him for 11 months. what is the easiest way to do this, what if he doesn't want to sign

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Easy ? Divorce is never "easy" - - at least not the legal end of it.

It takes about the same amount of work, and the same court forms and pleadings, whether you've been married for 11 months or 11 years. Time is not necessarily a factor.

He doesn't need to "sign" for anything, unless you and he have mutually agreed to an uncontested divorce. If he refuses to sign the papers, that doesn't mean you won't get your divorce; all it means is that he's contesting something in the divorce package, and it will need to be heard by a judge, rather than letting the matter go to a default judgment of Dissolution. That's all. Sure, that takes a little longer, but he'll soon realize that it's just costing him more money the longer he delays a quick resolution. He'll get tired of forking out money for nothing - because it's usually the man who winds up paying or reimbursing for the attorneys fees, on both sides.

Get to your attorney and start the ball rolling.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 07-10-2001 at 02:54 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">