• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorced and uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHfather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH I'm covered under my wife Family health plan through her work but were getting divorced, am I out of insurance? Do we need to inform the insurance company we are divorcing? can i still be on the plan as the childrens father?

CourtClerk

Your SBTX wife will need to let the insurance company know when the divorce is final, as you will not be eligible for coverage once the divorce is final. No, as your childrens' father, you are not eligible for coverage. You'll need to get your own insurance.

ecmst12

You will be eligible for Cobra for a period of time, which will be expensive. If you are offered benefits through your own employer, a divorce is considered a qualifying event, so you will have 30 days from the time you lose coverage with your wife to sign up through your own company.

TIMMAAYY

Apply for individual insurance if it s available in NH. That way you'll never have to worry about losing your coverage because of your employment/marriage/etc. Once you have it, it's yours... as long as you pay the premium.

NHfather

thanks for the dishearting info

I thought that would be the case just wanting other conformation to that fact. I have my own insure so that's not an issue just needed clairafication and you all gave it to me with both barrells LOL TY

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">