• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmccartn@tampab

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,
My ex-husband died on Jan. Friday the 13th, 2006. Eight years ago when our son was born we purchased life insurance policies. We each named the other the beneficiary and we each own our own policies. I have been paying on both policies for eight years, though we divorced right after our son was born. Is the fact that we are divorced an issue? Neither of us changed anything on the policies and the policy is a term policy, paid up. He had no health insurance and so the state is absorbing his debts. I just want to know if there's any chance there could be leins against the policy or if I'm not entitled to it at all because we are divorced.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
gmccartn@tampab said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,
My ex-husband died on Jan. Friday the 13th, 2006. Eight years ago when our son was born we purchased life insurance policies. We each named the other the beneficiary and we each own our own policies. I have been paying on both policies for eight years, though we divorced right after our son was born. Is the fact that we are divorced an issue? Neither of us changed anything on the policies and the policy is a term policy, paid up. He had no health insurance and so the state is absorbing his debts. I just want to know if there's any chance there could be leins against the policy or if I'm not entitled to it at all because we are divorced.
I do not believe it would be a problem due to the fact that beneficiaries are easily changeable and the beneficiary was you up until his death. The policy was also continuously paid after the divorce which shows that the intent remained for you to be the beneficiary.
I believe that there is no problem but you might want to call an attorney in Florida and inquire.

Betty

I agree with Ohiogal - if the beneficiary was never changed on your husband's policy, you should be entitled to the proceeds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">