• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing with child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DistressedChad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Alright so I got married july of 2012 and my wife left me for another man in january of 2013. Since that time she has had two children with that same man. I don't know why I haven't gotten a divorce throughout this whole time but mistakes have been made. So in this past week I received a request from the child support services wanting me to pay for the children and I put in a written request for a hearing to contest the situation. But my question for this thread is, Can I file for divorce at this time or do I need to wait until the hearing is finalized. Also if I can, do I file as a divorce without dependents?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Alright so I got married july of 2012 and my wife left me for another man in january of 2013. Since that time she has had two children with that same man. I don't know why I haven't gotten a divorce throughout this whole time but mistakes have been made. So in this past week I received a request from the child support services wanting me to pay for the children and I put in a written request for a hearing to contest the situation. But my question for this thread is, Can I file for divorce at this time or do I need to wait until the hearing is finalized. Also if I can, do I file as a divorce without dependents?
You made mess of this by ignoring the situation and I suspect you will be required to pay child support, as you are the legal father of both of those children. You will want to speak with an attorney asap.

You should check out the following page: http://www.iowalegalaid.org/resource/paternity-and-iowa-law

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">