• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorse money split

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhotrod6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. So im married and i found out my husband of 30 years is on drugs and is cheating on me. My house is in both of our names how will that split work if we divorce? And also i retire in a few years with a pension, if we divorce before i recieve the pension is he still entitled to money from my pension? -thank you

adjusterjack

Basically, everything you both own and owe gets divided equally between you, including pensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. So im married and i found out my husband of 30 years is on drugs and is cheating on me. My house is in both of our names how will that split work if we divorce? And also i retire in a few years with a pension, if we divorce before i recieve the pension is he still entitled to money from my pension? -thank you
The house is marital property and you each are entitled to half the equity. He is entitled to a portion of the pension that accrued during the marriage. That is the simplistic view. If the house is in BOTH of your names that you can't say it is "my house".

HRZ

THere may be no doubt in your mind that hubby is squandering a good bit of the marital pot on drugs and he may well be wasting part of the marital pot to entertain his new friends. ...but you best be using good counsel soon to protect your point of view In our convoluted society, if he scrambles his brains and is " disabled" due to his illegal habits you might be stuck to provide his care until he is cured ...get counsel!

LdiJ

THere may be no doubt in your mind that hubby is squandering a good bit of the marital pot on drugs and he may well be wasting part of the marital pot to entertain his new friends. ...but you best be using good counsel soon to protect your point of view In our convoluted society, if he scrambles his brains and is " disabled" due to his illegal habits you might be stuck to provide his care until he is cured ...get counsel!
And just in case...get counsel means get an attorney because there is at least some small chance that you can get a more favorable split of marital assets if he can be proven to have dissipated them based on his drug use.

jhotrod6

Pension split

So even if i havent recieved my pension and wont retire for another 4 years, he would still get part of my pension if we divorce before i retire?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So even if i havent recieved my pension and wont retire for another 4 years, he would still get part of my pension if we divorce before i retire?
Yes. He is entitled to a portion of your retirement/pension that accrued during the marriage.

HRZ

You didn't post anything about the big financial picture , his job and if he is blowing thru family financial pot ....the practical problem may include if he squanders the family pot or drains his pot , no matter what the legal view may be , it may be impossible to reconstruct a ruined pot ...you would be smarter to get attorney input earlier in the equation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You didn't post anything about the big financial picture , his job and if he is blowing thru family financial pot ....the practical problem may include if he squanders the family pot or drains his pot , no matter what the legal view may be , it may be impossible to reconstruct a ruined pot ...you would be smarter to get attorney input earlier in the equation.
Yes.

I've heard that recreational drug habits are expensive.

OP needs to protect herself financially, legally, and physically. Untangling a 30 year marriage means that pretty much everything is marital property. However, if there has been "wasteful dissipation of assets", that can be taken into account when splitting up the assets. OP needs to start documenting expenditures.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes.

I've heard that recreational drug habits are expensive.

OP needs to protect herself financially, legally, and physically. Untangling a 30 year marriage means that pretty much everything is marital property. However, if there has been "wasteful dissipation of assets", that can be taken into account when splitting up the assets. OP needs to start documenting expenditures.
Depends. Maybe the marital pot is actually being spent on POT. And then...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">