• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DNA test on almost 19yo...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Es2016

I live in Indiana. I was the custodial parent (mom) of a daughter that will be 19 next month. Father was legally declared the father after being offered a DNA test several times and he refused to do one stating "I know she's mine". Support ordered in 2003 @$55 per week. Has never been changed. He never filed for visitation rights and never tried to see her. When he has went several months or years without paying, the state took tax checks. Daughter recently graduated and he is definitely trying to get support stopped (that he hasn't paid in over a year). It stops when she turns 19 so not a big deal. But.... father is telling daughter that I am greedy for wanting arrearages paid blah blah blah. Also, he has told her that he has a great attorney (in Tennessee) and that they are filing to have a DNA test done now and that he is going to make me pay the attorney fees, pay for the DNA test and that it will come back he's not her father and I will have to pay him back all the child support. He is her father so I'm not worried about the results. I'm just curious if he is able to even have this done in court after all these years

Es2016

Thank you. I hate that he put her in the middle of this also. He messaged her on fb and told her he isn't her father and that he wants to get a DNA test. He blames everything on me to her. The only thing I have ever told her was that he is her father and that I have no problem with a DNA test and that if she wants to try and have a relationship with him then that's her right and I will never try to prevent that.

adjusterjack

I'm just curious if he is able to even have this done in court after all these years
What a rotten scumbag.

He can certainly go to court if he wants to but I doubt if he will succeed in any of it.

Why not suggest to your daughter that she just get a DNA test and have the lab send him the results. Bet that will shut him up.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What a rotten scumbag.

He can certainly go to court if he wants to but I doubt if he will succeed in any of it.

Why not suggest to your daughter that she just get a DVA test and have the lab send him the results. Bet that will shut him up.
I know where you're coming from, but I don't think the OP should do that. Daughter is already dealing with one parent putting her in the middle of the matter...she doesn't need it from both parents (in my opinion).

LdiJ

I live in Indiana. I was the custodial parent (mom) of a daughter that will be 19 next month. Father was legally declared the father after being offered a DNA test several times and he refused to do one stating "I know she's mine". Support ordered in 2003 @$55 per week. Has never been changed. He never filed for visitation rights and never tried to see her. When he has went several months or years without paying, the state took tax checks. Daughter recently graduated and he is definitely trying to get support stopped (that he hasn't paid in over a year). It stops when she turns 19 so not a big deal. But.... father is telling daughter that I am greedy for wanting arrearages paid blah blah blah. Also, he has told her that he has a great attorney (in Tennessee) and that they are filing to have a DNA test done now and that he is going to make me pay the attorney fees, pay for the DNA test and that it will come back he's not her father and I will have to pay him back all the child support. He is her father so I'm not worried about the results. I'm just curious if he is able to even have this done in court after all these years
I have no idea what he hoped to accomplish by telling your daughter all of that garbage, but as you have already been told, none of it is true.

Es2016

I really think he is trying to justify why he hasn't seen her or been here for her in over 16 years by telling her he's not her father and makes me look like the bad guy. When we went to court for him to to be legally declared her father I told him if he wanted a DNA test to get one because I had nothing to hide and I told him then I never wanted him to come to our child when she was older and say he didn't know if he was her father and he refused to get one done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">