• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do background check reveal traffic convictions gained while juvenile?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lutzC

In South Dakota I was pulled over while driving without a license twice and while applying for lyft the conviction came up. I didn't know those should have been reported because they happened when I was under the age of 18 and consequently was blocked from the job.

Do all traffic violations show up on a background check or were my violations reported because I was applying for a driving position?

adjusterjack

I don't know if traffic violations show up on a standard background check but I do know that, when you apply for a driving job anywhere, that employer's insurance company requires getting your driving record straight from the DMV. Either the employer or the insurance company will do it and if you don't meet the minimum standards you don't get the job.

Those driving records are often requested for 5 years. Any violations that occurred in the last 5 years will show up. Then it's up to the employer and/or its insurance company to decide how old they have to be for you to qualify for the job.

How long ago were the citations?

lutzC

Thanks for your opinion, I think the same thing.
For me applying to Lyft it seemed to go back to 2010! Though, maybe they only consider risk when within the last 5 years.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It makes sense that a potential employer will check your driving record if it's a driving job. If you were old enough to drive you were old enough to have a driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">