• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do bk forms need to be typed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunar27

Thanks LIR. I noticed that my local court is saying that on October 1st, filings must be electronic. How does someone without a lawyer file electronically? I don't think it's possible.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It took much longer to sit and look up every little question I had, online... like typing vs handwritten (I had the same question). I just called the clerk at the bankrupcty court and asked. She was pretty helpful. I was able to handwrite mine (in NC). And you definitely want to double check, but I saw the same thing about electronic filing. I think this mostly refers to lawyers. Like they have an application that directly links them with the court records, or some such mess. There's probably software out there that you can buy that'll let you file electrinically too. But, I just went to the courthouse and handed mine over to the clerk.

Last edited:

sunar27

SkankCheese said:
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It took much longer to sit and look up every little question I had, online... like typing vs handwritten (I had the same question). I just called the clerk at the bankrupcty court and asked. She was pretty helpful. I was able to handwrite mine (in NC). And you definitely want to double check, but I saw the same thing about electronic filing. I think this mostly refers to lawyers. Like they have an application that directly links them with the court records, or some such mess. There's probably software out there that you can buy that'll let you file electrinically too. But, I just went to the courthouse and handed mine over to the clerk.
Yah i'm going to call them tomorrow. Their website actually lists just about everything but some of the minor details like the order in which the forms need to be submitted, if they should be hole punched, etc.... aren't listed.

Also, i am married and filing seperate and i was told i need to list my wife's income yet on my forms, it says if i'm married and filing seperate, i do not need to list her income for a chap 7.

giggle50

No offense, but if you're asking a question like this, you're dead meat.

Of course they need to be typed. Not only do they need to be typed, but Virginia bankruptcy forms must be filed electronically. All bankruptcy courts in VA use ECF (Electronic Case Filing).

You should speak with a bankruptcy lawyer. Most offer free consults and in the long run, you save very little filing pro-se.

sunar27

giggle50 said:

Of course they need to be typed. Not only do they need to be typed, but Virginia bankruptcy forms must be filed electronically. All bankruptcy courts in VA use ECF (Electronic Case Filing).

You should speak with a bankruptcy lawyer. Most offer free consults and in the long run, you save very little filing pro-se.
How are people without lawyers supposed to file electronically? By filing pro-se I can save over 1000 dollars and with no assets, no savings and some credit card debt, a lawyer wouldn't be much use to me.

Ladynred

Call the bankruptcy court clerk and ASK. Pro se filers aren't going to go away, there has to be provisions for this.

giggle50 said:

I don't agree with that. I had the same questions, and I did fine. I came on here and got some answers, and got the rest from the courts website, library books and from the clerk. How else are you going to find out?
I went pro se, b/c that was the whole point of me even filing bankruptcy in the first place... I didn't have an extra $1500 lying around the house. I have no assets though, I probably wouldn't have done it solo if I owned more. NC courts want things electronically filed also, but the bk clerk took my stuff, looked it over, stamped it, gave me the number to call in a few hours for the case number and sent me on my merry way.
So I say, do what you said you were going to do and call and ask. They won't answer any 'real' questions, but they can give you the technicalities. Our bk website had a pro se brochure that told us the bare minimum of what we had to initiate a filing and other helpful info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">