• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanka.50

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I will be able to apply for pension soon, but am involved with attorney & court now. Told it could take years to complete.
I have informed attorney "I will not file for pension because the bottom line will be wrong by approx. five(5) years. Totalling approx. 27% reduction in monthly payout.
I am advised to file anyway to allow relief of my personnal situation: unemployed. My attorney claims it will show documented shortfall, even though I have pamphlets from NYS Retirement Sys. showing this shortfall already.
I also believe that it will be adjusted within my claim but have no clue wether I will win or not, of course.

Do I take advice and file even though it's wrong and hope I win my case with my claim to offset pension reduction?

Last edited:

pattytx

Let's see. You have an attorney. You attorney is giving you advice. You believe the attorney's advice is wrong. So, you're asking us.

What's wrong with this picture?

If you don't want to take the advice of your attorney (who has all the details of your case, we have, basically, none), get another attorney. Or do it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">