• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I File I-864 Together with I-130 or Later on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nichka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NJ
Hi
I want to petition my mother with I-130 but don't have enough income yet for affidavit of support, but will have later (in couple months). My question is:

Can I file I-130 without I-864 and after application is accepted submit affidavit of support, or I better wait?

Will it slow down the process opposed to filing both forms in one envelope?

If I file I-864 later, how "late" is it going to be, approximately, from the day of submitting I-130? in other words how long it takes for them to demand I-864 from me?

Thank you for help

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NJ
Hi
I want to petition my mother with I-130 but don't have enough income yet for affidavit of support, but will have later (in couple months). My question is:

Can I file I-130 without I-864 and after application is accepted submit affidavit of support, or I better wait?

Will it slow down the process opposed to filing both forms in one envelope?

If I file I-864 later, how "late" is it going to be, approximately, from the day of submitting I-130? in other words how long it takes for them to demand I-864 from me?

Thank you for help
If your mother will be applying for an Immigrant Visa after your I-130 is approved, the I-864 goes in at the time of the visa application (aprox 4-6 months from I-130 submission).

There are very, very few cases an I-864 would be included with a consular I-130 submission (if you live abroad).

If it is for a concurrent I-130/I-485 Adjustment of Status application, the I-864 goes in with everything else.

So, your answer depends on what Mother is doing.

nichka

thank you for quick response.
My mother is living in my country of origin and I guess she will apply for immigrant visa, if not, please correct me.
Few more questions:

Should she file the application for Immigrant Visa simultaneously with application of I-130 from my side? or she can do that only after I-130 is accepted?

and where should she file that application for immigrant visa, if she should?

I really would like to speed up this process, and don't want to do any unnecessary delays...
Thank you

ImmigAttyLana

If she is abroad, she cannot file anything until the I-130 is approved. IF and when it is, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center for further processing. You and she will then receive additional instructions on fees that need to be paid and forms that need to be filed. Once all the forms and fees are submitted and everything is deemed to be correct and complete, an interview will be scheduled at the US Consulate in her home country and that is when she will be getting her immigrant visa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">