• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I get my Life Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JadedJenn

I live in Minnesota. My father recently passed away... We (my brothers and myself) are having numerous problems with his will and our step mother. One problem is that my father took out a life insurance policy on me. I'm assuming that he took it out while I was still under his care (I was placed in foster care 1 month after they were married). I turned 20 last month and I have been demended to be in good mental health. My step mother does not believe that I or my older brother (who is 31) that I live with can be responsible for taking over the insurance. My oldest brother (who is 32) agrees with her. I would not mind if my oldest brother took over the insurance untill I'm "responsible" enough. But as it is, my step mother has control of it and is the one who would collect the money should anything happen to me. This makes me very uncomfortable. She should not be getting any money since she forced my father to put me in foster care when I was 15 and for other reasons.
It may seem odd for a 20 year old who has no dependants to worry about life insurance. In March of this past year I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes. I am told that it may be diffucult in the future to get good life insurance at a reasonable rate.
I'm just wondering if it is even legal for my step mother to deny me the right to take over the policy.

ALawyer

Don't let this situation get to you. You father's death is the sorry circumstance and her forcing you out is the issue. This is small stuff, and "don't sweat the small stuff". Promise.

The face amount on the policy is likely to be low. And if she inherits the policy, she has control over it and fussing about it won't get you anywhere. She may or may not change the beneficiary.

Spite her best by staying alive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">