• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Give the Life Insurance to the POA??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help4mydad

What is the name of your state? PA but my father lived in MD where he passed away

Unfortunately, my father passed away over the weekend. I am not the POA, however, I am one of two beneficiaries for his life insurance policy. Already, I have my aunt (the POA) telling me it would be the "right thing to do" if I gave her all the money in the policy. I don't have a problem paying 50% of the funeral (and the other beneficiary paying the other half) but why do I need to give her all the money? He no longer had bills and the will says the remainder of his money will be divided up equally but does that include my putting in whatever I have left over from the life insurance policy into the general fund? I am always leary about her since she's already managed to take away the house that was supposed to be mine in the will and subsequently changed the will while he had dementia so I'm getting some big "red flags" here but wanted to make sure I am "doing the right thing". Any information would be helpful.

pojo2

As long as you are the beneficiary of the policy the money is yours and I believe you said a sister.

A POA ended at the death of your father. She has no standing unless you mean the Executor of the estate.

You have every right to question the validity of a will drawn up under the circumstances you state of his dementia. IF you can prove that.

The first thing the Estae needs to do is take any and all funds and pay the Funeral expenses. So if there were ANY other funds those should first be used on the Funeral expenses before anyone gets anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">