• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case for Slander/libel/defamation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hulu

What is the name of your state? UT

The person I have a judgement against may be going for the insanity defense.

First they say they don't recognize the authority of the court, threaten us for using his name without his permission, said we sent agents from international jurisdiction because we sent him a letter in the mail via the post office. I guess the agent was the postal employee delivering his mail.

He is now writing letters to power 3rd party people and institutions.

1. The state attorney general.
2. The governor of the state.
3. secretary of the treasury.
4. secretary of defense.
5. the secretary of state.
6. joint chief of staff
7. Now even the Pentagon. Yes the actual pentagon.

I honestly don't know who he is going to slander me next to? The president? the UN?

I'm not sure if his is trying to confuse everyone by name dropping power institutions or if his goal is to get them to swat me.

Swatting if you don't know is when someone(usually an online gaming streamer) finds out where someone lives then contacts the authority making outrageous claims to cause an innocent person to get raided by a SWAT team and possible even killed. There are video on youtube if you are interested.

However, I am wondering what recourse I have against what he is doing? Sometimes bad things can happen when a Karen called 911 on a someone for no reason. Well, this guy writing letters to the pentagon now!

1. Is there recourse in my post judgement case against him where I can ask the court for sanctions against him, ask for contempt of court or to explain his behavior.

2. Could there be a separate and new case for a defamation lawsuit due to these his letters to various government institutions about me?

At this point, I would not be surprised if I was on the do-not-fly list as a result of these guys barrage of letters defaming me to all these institutions.
This is a simple business breach of contract and he has turned it into some kind of international incident circus involving heads of states, law enforcement and the military.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

First they say they don't recognize the authority of the court, threaten us for using his name without his permission, said we sent agents from international jurisdiction because we sent him a letter in the mail via the post office. I guess the agent was the postal employee delivering his mail.

4. secretary of defense.
6. joint chief of staff

I honestly don't know who he is going to slander me next to? The president? the UN?

I'm not sure if his is trying to confuse everyone by name dropping power institutions or if his goal is to get them to swat me.

Swatting if you don't know is when someone(usually an online gaming streamer) finds out where someone lives then contacts the authority making outrageous claims to cause an innocent person to get raided by a SWAT team and possible even killed. There are video on youtube if you are interested.

However, I am wondering what recourse I have against what he is doing? Sometimes bad things can happen when a Karen called 911 on a someone for no reason. Well, this guy writing letters to the pentagon now!

1. Is there recourse in my post judgement case against him where I can ask the court for sanctions against him, ask for contempt of court or to explain his behavior.

2. Could there be a separate and new case for a defamation lawsuit due to these his letters to various government institutions about me?

At this point, I would not be surprised if I was on the do-not-fly list as a result of these guys barrage of letters defaming me to all these institutions.
This is a simple business breach of contract and he has turned it into some kind of international incident circus involving heads of states, law enforcement and the military.
Google sovereign citizen. Slander requires a third party believing it and you being caused harm. How do you know he wrote letters to all those places? What harm have you suffered as a result of his rants?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

This is a simple business breach of contract and he has turned it into some kind of international incident circus involving heads of states, law enforcement and the militar
Believe me, all these parties recognize nut case "sovereign citizens" when they see them.

Worry less about his silliness and just enforce the friggin' judgement. Because the dude isn't credible.

Because you know that he isn't going to abide by the judgement, since he doesn't recognize the authority of US laws over his person. So you know you're going to go back to court at some point. Keep calm, maintain your reasonable credibility, and just let him be his ridiculous self. Eventually some judge will at least find him in contempt and he'll get to cool his heels. (You know he will be just as nice to any judge as he has been to you.)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
However, I am wondering what recourse I have against what he is doing?
That depends very much on what he told those agencies and what harm, if any, you suffer from it. Lacking detail as to what he told the agencies, it is impossible to speculate whether the statements are defamatory. If the letters are easily identifiable as crazy the agencies will just trash them. The Pentagon and State Departments are certainly not going to care about the rantings of this guy over your judgment. That's not anything to do with what they have jurisdiction over.

No. You have a money judgment for the breach of contract. His letter writing has nothing to do with regard to that judgment, and since it doesn't order him not to send such letters he cannot be in contempt of court for doing it.

That would depend on exactly what the letters say and may also depend on the damages you suffered. It also matters which state's law will apply. As I don't have all those facts, I can't tell you if you might have a good defamation claim. Note, though, that defamation cases can be costly to pursue and you don't get to tack on your legal fees to the judgment if you win. Moreover, you are already facing challenges in collecting the judgment you already have. What would be the point of getting a new judgment if you ultimately cannot collect it?

Eekamouse

At first, I was thinking the guy is a little unhinged but now I'm leaning towards OP being a little unhinged for buying into the other guys threats.

quincy

4. secretary of defense.
6. joint chief of staff

Here are links to Utah’s civil and criminal defamation laws:

Civil: https://www.utcourts.gov/resources/muji/inc_list.asp?action=showRule&id=16

Criminal:
https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter9/76-9-S404.html

In 2007, Utah followed the lead of other states when it repealed a law that criminalized libelous or slanderous speech. But Utah left in place another state law that criminalizes the publication of knowingly false statements that exposes a person to hatred, contempt or ridicule. Although rarely prosecuted, a violator potentially can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor.

Defamation lawsuits center on injuries to reputations. As Ohiogal mentioned, not only must a falsehood be communicated to a third party, the falsehood must be believed. If no one believes the falsehood is true, a reputation cannot be harmed. The rantings of a crazy person are generally recognized as crazy rantings.

How did you learn of the letters that your judgment-debtor sent? Do you have copies of the letters?

I think a defamation lawsuit is probably not something you seriously want to consider, unless you suffer severe demonstrable injury to your reputation. The lawsuit would not only be costly to pursue, even if you were awarded damages, you already are having difficulty collecting on a money judgment from this fellow.

If you fear “swatting,” you can inform local authorities about your concerns. The police may already have the crazy guy on their radar.

zddoodah

I think you may be making a joke here, so I'll ignore it.

However, I am wondering what recourse I have against what he is doing?
You'll have to tell us what he's doing before we can tell you if you have any legal recourse. So far, all you've told us is that he sent a bunch of letters to a bunch of folks who will likely ignore those letter, but you didn't tell us anything about the content of these letters.

Is there recourse in my post judgement case against him where I can ask the court for sanctions against him, ask for contempt of court or to explain his behavior.
You can ask for anything you like, but the conduct you have vaguely described would not likely be subject to recourse in connection with the judgment.

Could there be a separate and new case for a defamation lawsuit due to these his letters to various government institutions about me?
Could be. Depends on what those letters say (among other things).

quincy

Knowing exactly what was communicated and the context in which it was communicated is key to knowing whether what was communicated can support a defamation claim.

If you have a copy of one or more of the letters sent, you can have the contents and facts personally reviewed by an attorney in your area to better determine their defamatory nature.

Last edited:

Hulu

Google sovereign citizen. Slander requires a third party believing it and you being caused harm. How do you know he wrote letters to all those places? What harm have you suffered as a result of his rants?
They may be sovereign citizen defense as you indicated yet he has not used that term to describe himself however it does seem likely this is the case.

He writes tons and tons of these rants to my attorney and to the court/Judge. He writes in these rants that he has copied the Pentagon and all those other places in the letter. Will name drop V.I.P in the government and name these agencies. So he openly admit he is sending them copies of these letters. As far as harm, I'm not sure how to prove that. Its not like any government agency going to openly tell you. There is no rule preventing the government to lie as I think the supreme court has ruled on by police uses lies to extract a confession.

I suppose there is harm to one's reputation is government is getting a barrage of letters talking about them like they are Kim Jong un from North Korea saying a foreign enemy sent agents to trespass on his property. ( Translation, I mailed him a certified letter via the post office from domestically within the US)

One might think that the government would simple dismiss these letters are the ranting and ravings of a sovereign citizen and throw them in the trash however there are countless youtube video showing frivolous 911 calls from "Karen's" resulting in false arrest or police brutality over a simple misunderstanding. Someone collecting signatures of a election is arrested for robbery, etc.

If a restaurant owner spends all day writing negative reviews about his competitor on yelp. . How do you prove that caused you harm? Its common sense but how do you scientifically provide it? Find people who avoided your restaurant and get them to admit it was a direct result of the fake review?

Silly people who have cried wolf and exaggerating false claims to 911 at least have resulted in some serious harm to innocent individuals. I hope these institutions are better at recognizing a sovereign citizen's rantings then 911 operator taking calls from overreacting citizens.

Hulu

That depends very much on what he told those agencies and what harm, if any, you suffer from it. Lacking detail as to what he told the agencies, it is impossible to speculate whether the statements are defamatory. If the letters are easily identifiable as crazy the agencies will just trash them. The Pentagon and State Departments are certainly not going to care about the rantings of this guy over your judgment. That's not anything to do with what they have jurisdiction over.

No. You have a money judgment for the breach of contract. His letter writing has nothing to do with regard to that judgment, and since it doesn't order him not to send such letters he cannot be in contempt of court for doing it.

That would depend on exactly what the letters say and may also depend on the damages you suffered. It also matters which state's law will apply. As I don't have all those facts, I can't tell you if you might have a good defamation claim. Note, though, that defamation cases can be costly to pursue and you don't get to tack on your legal fees to the judgment if you win. Moreover, you are already facing challenges in collecting the judgment you already have. What would be the point of getting a new judgment if you ultimately cannot collect it?
it would take me days to read all the stuff he wrote but he said that I " illegal trespass into the United States via circumventing of the Executive Office of the Office of the legal adviser"

He is also saying that I'm violating international treaties, I have no rights under the constitution because running some kind of unauthorized foreign organization abroad. Then references the trading with the enemy act. Then referred it to the chief prosecutor of the united states in his capacity of chief prosecutor. He actually wrote " in his capacity of chief prosecutor" which tells to get me in trouble with these various agencies.

I am a legal US citizen operating in the United States same as him.

However unless the government acts on it or openly admit it, I'm not sure how I can prove damages unless its just obvious damage to your reputation. If I ever tried to get a government contract and there are numerous letters accusing me of being some kind of James Bond criminal mastermind, I'm not sure that would help my case.
My understanding is that sovereign citizens basically try to flood the court with misdirection in paperwork so no one can figure out what is going on. However, I am wondering if these letters sitting in the records may hurt your reputation down the road or sort of like starting out with 2 strikes again you from the beginning. Sometimes people can be like " I'm pretty sure its not true but I can't take that chance kind of attitude. "

quincy

You need to show the crazy rantings harmed your reputation. A barrage of letters to a wide range of entities does not do that. On the contrary, it calls into question the mental stability of the letter writer.

You can consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review and for guidance on how to stop the letter writer from wreaking additional havoc. Perhaps a restraining order can be discussed with your attorney, although it is awfully difficult to restrain speech, just actions.

File a complaint with the police.

Hulu

You need to show the crazy rantings harmed your reputation. A barrage of letters to a wide range of entities does not do that. On the contrary, it calls into question the mental stability of the letter writer.

You can consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review and for guidance on how to stop the letter writer from wreaking additional havoc. Perhaps a restraining order can be discussed with your attorney, although it is awfully difficult to restrain speech, just actions.

File a complaint with the police.

Does the average government employee know about sovereign citizens and understand they are writing nonsense and to ignore these documents?

I hope so.

I guess we will have to wait and see if it escalates. I hope this letters do not get me removed from my TSA precheck status.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Does the average government employee know about sovereign citizens and understand they are writing nonsense and to ignore these documents?
The government employee reviewing the letters will know if the complaint states anything that his/her agency would do anything about. If the letter is spouting off stuff that has nothing to do with the agency the complaint will just find its way to the trash.

quincy

I hope so.

I guess we will have to wait and see if it escalates. I hope this letters do not get me removed from my TSA precheck status.
Most people, including the “average government employee,” will recognize nonsensical rants.

If any problems arise for you as a result of the letters, however, you should consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review, advice and direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">