• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case? Gave money to someone who lied to me in Florida.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

That is how I feel. I feel like I was scammed. Thank you for your advice. Just having an outsider listen to my story has helped me. I will keep you posted. We are currently in a child support case where he doesn't want to pay and he wants 50/50 custody to avoid paying.
That is unlikely if you do not roll over and play dead. However, he will get at least standard parenting time, if not more. 50/50 custody does NOT mean no child support. Generally the parent with the higher income will pay some support to the other, and if the incomes are very similar, then the parent covering the most expenses (daycare, health insurance) will receive some support from the other.

ADR123

Or maybe because he wants the chance to be a father to his child. Just sayin'
Which I do not interfere with at all. I want him in the baby's life. He has shown otherwise with his actions unfortunately. Thank you for your discussion with me. It is hard to explain the entire situation in this type of forum and I apologize if my questions lacked detail.

ADR123

This, to me, is beginning to sound more and more like a guy who simply got his live-in girlfriend pregnant while he was still married to his estranged wife. I'm not convinced that the guy is the pond-scum that the OP presents him as (well, not quite as much).
Yes. It is very much like that, but he presented himself as divorced. He presented himself as an honest man. His wife and I were friendly with each other. I am more shocked over his behavior and all the lies I have uncovered since I left the house. Imagine - I thought we were building an honest life together.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've afforded him the opportunity to have his child 50% of the time? Or, and I suspect this is more likely, do you tell him when he can visit and need to give your blessing for certain times?

LdiJ

You've afforded him the opportunity to have his child 50% of the time? Or, and I suspect this is more likely, do you tell him when he can visit and need to give your blessing for certain times?
Zig, when there are no visitation orders in place that is perfectly legal and acceptable. It is unfair to give the impression that it is not.

ADR123

Yes. He can see the baby whenever he would like to. It has been his choice to avoid him.

Zigner

Zig, when there are no visitation orders in place that is perfectly legal and acceptable. It is unfair to give the impression that it is not.
My post was in direct response to the OP claiming that she was accommodating the dad's request for parenting time. The dad wants 50/50 and I suspect mom has been allowing less than 50/50. Sure, it's legal, but the OP can't equate one with the other as she tried to do.

LdiJ

My post was in direct response to the OP claiming that she was accommodating the dad's request for parenting time. The dad wants 50/50 and I suspect mom has been allowing less than 50/50. Sure, it's legal, but the OP can't equate one with the other as she tried to do.
I disagree. A dad wanting 50/50 when he is not bothering to visit his child at all now, is incredibly relevant.

ADR123

Zig, when there are no visitation orders in place that is perfectly legal and acceptable. It is unfair to give the impression that it is not.[/QUOTE
No order is in place at this time. He will ask to see him on random days and I comply. It is in the best interest of the baby to have his father in his life.
When he wants to take the baby for a few days, what do/did/would you say?
He has never asked for a few days. He has asked for a few hours. I take the baby to his house and pick him up at the time he asks me to. I pack his diaper bag, milk, food, and play pen.

ADR123

I have paid for everything. The baby is on my insurance, I have paid all his doctor co-pays, bills from his birth, all his necessities. I am in no way trying to be unfair about this. I just want things to be fair. Visitation and child support should be fair between both parents. Right?

Zigner

I have paid for everything. The baby is on my insurance, I have paid all his doctor co-pays, bills from his birth, all his necessities. I am in no way trying to be unfair about this. I just want things to be fair. Visitation and child support should be fair between both parents. Right?
Ideally, visitation and child support are based on what's best for the child. Being "fair" for the parents is secondary.

ADR123

I do not know the answer to that.
I know it is hard to see the whole picture with only one side of the story. I was wondering if I had good reason to take him to small claims court to attempt to recover some of this financial loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">