• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bhiya

What is the name of your state? TX

Three weeks ago I purchased two new rear tires for my vehicle. The new tires were a different size and speed rating than my original tires. I purchased these based on the assurance of the tire store manager, that changing tire sizes would not have a negative impact on the handling of my vehicle. Two hours after purchasing these tires, I proceeded to drive on the highway, ten minutes later, my car started swerving side to side, ultimately losing control and causing an accident. The other party is filing suit for injuries. At the scene I was not cited for the accident, nor was speed determined to be the cause. The person with whom I hit, witnessed my rear pulling up, right before losing control. As a result of this incident my car suffered $830.00 in body damage, I paid rental car costs of $145 (my insurance only covered $20 a day), and I had to spend $400 to replace the tires they put on. In addition, I suffered a back injury for which I am seeking medical attention for as well as emotional trauma (I am now very afraid to drive and have panic attacks when I am on the highway).

I contacted the tire retailer immediately following the accident and requested a refund for the tires. He stated he would not give a refund until I signed a waiver, agreeing not to file legal action against them. Essentially he is trying to blackmail me into signing this waiver, when the manufacture provides a 30-day Test drive warranty on those tires).

I have since discovered that changing the tire size and speed rating can change handling in areas such as:

1. Steering Response
2. Braking
3. Traction
4. Cornering
5. Evasion/Recovery

The tire manager, never provided information detailing any adverse affects of this action, and I went through with the arrangement without having full representation of the facts. Do I have a case against the tire retailer?

BMS

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">