• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Legally What should i do first?

What is the name of your state? virginia

My van rear windshield was shattered by a couple of kids. None of the kids would admit to shooting the windshield although they all admitted to having touched the gun. A police report was filed and the families agreed to each pay a portion the the damage and we would not press charges. One family kept their end of the oral agreement and the other did not. Do I have to take the kid to court first and will be have to be found guilty in order for me to take the parents to court for breaching the oral agreement?
Last edited:


Senior Member
The "kid", if under the age of 18, cannot be sued. You will sue the parents in your case if the kid is under 18.

First I would send a demand later for payment. Include copies of any agreements. Tell them you will press charges if full payment is not made (14 days would be typical) and if necessary, suing them in court. Tell them you will win in court and besides the original costs, they will also be responsible for any court costs too. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested. If they do not accept the letter, sue them immediately.


get the first kid to be your witness and sue the other kid if they don't up the dough....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential