• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gie555

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was born in 1985. My father left my mother in 1989, they were never married. My mother had a child support order on my father. My mother died in 1997. When she died my grandmother became my legal guardian. I can not remember if my father ever paid my mother for child support but I know he never gave any money to my grandmother. I don't know where the papers for the child support order are. I am now 18 years old.

Can I sue my father for back child support? If so is there a way I can get a copy of the child support order from somewhere? Is there anything else I should know?

Thank You

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gie555 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was born in 1985. My father left my mother in 1989, they were never married. My mother had a child support order on my father. My mother died in 1997. When she died my grandmother became my legal guardian. I can not remember if my father ever paid my mother for child support but I know he never gave any money to my grandmother. I don't know where the papers for the child support order are. I am now 18 years old.

Can I sue my father for back child support? If so is there a way I can get a copy of the child support order from somewhere? Is there anything else I should know?

Thank You

My response:

We get this same, or nearly same, question about 2 to 3 times each week, and the answer remains the same - - no.

The court order was between your mother and father, not you. You were merely the "beneficiary", or you were at least in theory. The sad fact is, you have no legal standing because you were never a "party" to the court order.

Now, your grandmother might be able to go after him - - but certainly, not you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">