• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tandjsmith5

What is the name of your state? VA
I got a puppy from someone in KY back in March and my sister in law did as well, we thought we got healthy puppies well at 9 months of age ours, both pups came down with Juvinile Cataracts with can only be gotten if one of the parents carry the gene for it. There was no written contract from them for at that time we didn't know we needed one. I am wanting to know if I can sue them for the cost of the pup and all other costs that I have incured like vet costs. They did tell me in an email, which I have printed up stating that they won't give me a refund but they would give me 2 of their best Adult breeding dogs as a refund. Which I really don't want any more dogs from them because I don't know if they have or carry Juvinile Cataracts. Can you help me on this matter?

JETX

"I am wanting to know if I can sue them for the cost of the pup and all other costs that I have incured like vet costs"
*** The simple answer to your question is yes, you can sue them. The problems will be in that you would have to prove that they were aware (or should have been aware) that these animals were not healthy at the time of the sale. You would also have to show how the disease has affected their 'value'. If they were purchased as 'show dogs' and were unable to show, then the damages could be more than if they were simply purchased as 'pets'.

As for the costs you could recover, you might be able to get the REASONABLE cost of the care for them as a result of the medical conditions, but you would have to return the dogs to them.

One finaly consideration is that you would not be able to recover the costs of the animals and still be able to keep them. If you or your family has become attached, you might just settle with the fact that you have enjoyed them for the last 9 months and keep them in your family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">