• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmeloow

What is the name of your state? CA

Now for the question I had intended to put here.

My psycho ex-girlfriend decided to make a false police report alleging that I raped her. She also took out a restraining order alleging the same. She was a no show at the hearing for the restraining order and it was dropped. A few weeks later I was served with another restraining order, basically accusing me of the smae thing but she had changed some of the info. This time she showed up to the hearing and the restraining order was again denied.

Here is my problem... she knew that I have been trying to get a job in law enforcement... in fact, she knew she had been listed as a reference on my applications. She even admitted to taking the initiative of contacting agencies I had applied with to inform them of the alleged abuse. I believe her whole reason for all of this was to screw me over for employment opportunities.... all of this resulting because when she had recently asked me to marry here I declined... and things clearly turned sour fast.

So... as a few weeks went on I found I was dropped from consideration for employment with a county sheriff. In the interview process I had to explain all the court activity, and even though it was all in my favor in the end, the involvement was enough to disqualify from the other applicants. There is nothing else in my background that would disqualify me.

I spent 6 years in college earning two degrees... plenty of time and money invested in obtaining a decent career in law enforcement. Now this one psycho person has single handedly caused me to defend myself against false allegations in employment interviews... in short, she has effectively caused me to be passed over for just about any job in the field because of all the domestic violence accusations.

I have voicemail recordings, emails, the information in the two restraining orders, and a police report (which I am unable to access but have the number for) and all of these items contradict each other and negate all her claims.

As far as I know there is nothing I can do to make the police and court records go away.

I feel I have been cheated out of all my time and moey invested in a colelge education and now am suffering through denials of employment opportunities. I am being forced to either return to college and seek a degree in another field (more time and money) or to seek something in a totally different field that I might be qualified for.

I feel I have plenty of evidence to uncover her lies... what I am unsure of is if her actions amount to defamation/slander that might allow me to seek damages. Seems most everything I read about these cases says to forget it and move on... but I think it is just too hard to forget the last several years of my life in college and pretend I was never interested in a career that I now know I will never get because of her.

Any input?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmeloow said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Now for the question I had intended to put here.

My psycho ex-girlfriend decided to make a false police report alleging that I raped her. She also took out a restraining order alleging the same. She was a no show at the hearing for the restraining order and it was dropped. A few weeks later I was served with another restraining order, basically accusing me of the smae thing but she had changed some of the info. This time she showed up to the hearing and the restraining order was again denied.

Here is my problem... she knew that I have been trying to get a job in law enforcement... in fact, she knew she had been listed as a reference on my applications. She even admitted to taking the initiative of contacting agencies I had applied with to inform them of the alleged abuse. I believe her whole reason for all of this was to screw me over for employment opportunities.... all of this resulting because when she had recently asked me to marry here I declined... and things clearly turned sour fast.

So... as a few weeks went on I found I was dropped from consideration for employment with a county sheriff. In the interview process I had to explain all the court activity, and even though it was all in my favor in the end, the involvement was enough to disqualify from the other applicants. There is nothing else in my background that would disqualify me.

I spent 6 years in college earning two degrees... plenty of time and money invested in obtaining a decent career in law enforcement. Now this one psycho person has single handedly caused me to defend myself against false allegations in employment interviews... in short, she has effectively caused me to be passed over for just about any job in the field because of all the domestic violence accusations.

I have voicemail recordings, emails, the information in the two restraining orders, and a police report (which I am unable to access but have the number for) and all of these items contradict each other and negate all her claims.

As far as I know there is nothing I can do to make the police and court records go away.

I feel I have been cheated out of all my time and moey invested in a colelge education and now am suffering through denials of employment opportunities. I am being forced to either return to college and seek a degree in another field (more time and money) or to seek something in a totally different field that I might be qualified for.

I feel I have plenty of evidence to uncover her lies... what I am unsure of is if her actions amount to defamation/slander that might allow me to seek damages. Seems most everything I read about these cases says to forget it and move on... but I think it is just too hard to forget the last several years of my life in college and pretend I was never interested in a career that I now know I will never get because of her.

Any input?

My response:

Does she have money? In other words, can she answer in damages?

Depending upon your answer to the above, you have a beautiful lawsuit - - but, be prepared to have your background dragged through the mud in the litigation process.

IAAL

jmeloow

Well...

Well... SHE does not have a lot of money, but her parents are pretty loaded. She mooches off them all the time. I realize I can't get from her what she doesn't have, but after what she has done I have no reservations about wage garnishments to slowly make the difference.

I also am unsure what kind of damages I could reasonably ask for.

Personally I feel I am out college money, compensation for time lost, and maybe even compensation for the salary I am being denied because of her. I think my opinion is a little biased here... so any input as to what damages sound reasonable would be appreciated.

My only other problem is that I don't have much money either and would have trouble paying an attorney.... but that is a problem to address after deciding if I should pursue the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">