• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cushie

What is the name of your state? Washington

I'll try to make this short. Went and saw doctor A, an endocrinologist (hormone doctor). Told him my symptoms and said I thought I had a certain disease that causes weight gain and other hormonal imbalances due to a tumor. He laughed, said it's a super rare disease, questioned my food, diagnosed me (without any tests) with another disease and told me to eat vegetarian. In case you're wondering, I thought I had Cushing's Disease, he diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Six months later I saw a doctor in Oregon, endocrinologist B. He diagnosed me with the tumor, one month later had the surgery (brain surgery). Lost all weight and symptoms, went back to a normal life.

Did doctor A do anything wrong? I tend to think not, but am not positive. This is the super short story version, if you need any gaps filled in, I can.

rmet4nzkx

Good question and I believe your instincts are correct, doctor A probably didn't do anything wrong and you were also right that there was something wrong. This can be very frustrating!
Both conditions affect the same systems and may yeild the same or similar signs and symptoms. You did not cite your symptoms but apparently were overweight. PCOS is very common and various forms of diet and weight control is often the first step in treatment and isolating the cause if it is Cushing's disease. The second doctor was able to diagnose the tumor after a period of time when diet changes did not help. You have had surgery and lost the weight, great, that must be a relief! Not knowing what your symptoms were or what questions the doctor asked you it would be difficult to determine if there was any negligence.

Cushie

I thought so, which is why I haven't done anything. Thanks so much for the response! And good on you for actually knowing about PCOS and Cushing's - most people don't. My symptoms were pretty much everything with Cushing's, and PCOS, except I've had two kids so fertility is firmly in place :) I still feel doctor A should've run some tests to see but some doctors aren't the brightest bulbs in the lamp. Oh, lost 130 pounds after surgery, and am back to normal.

rmet4nzkx

PCOS is often affected by diet so it is possible to be fertile and then develop PCOS later. It is also possible for Cushings to induce the same symptoms and effectively be PCOS as well. 130 lbs, wow, how long did it take to lose? Did you have red lines on your skin darker than normal strech marks or other skin discolorations, moon face, when you saw Doctor A? How long did it take to gain 130 lbs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">