• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

overlooked

What is the name of your state? TN

In 2003, I was demoted without just cause. I was told that my position was being eliminated. Approximately, 11 people were in the position and all were moved laterally to a new position. Only two people (including myself) were moved an existing position which is a pay grade lower than my original position. The other employee was a known underperforming and was fired shortly thereafter.

I have a proven successful track record with the company and excellent performance reviews. I have continually been looked over for promotions and have been treated as though I don't have the experience that I have acquired over the years at the company. I have experienced many episodes of ongoing discrimination and it would take time for me to explain. I have documentation of my work and experience with the company.

I tried discussing my concerns about my career with my managers and HR several times over the past years. Months before I was demoted, I had spoken with HR about my concerns. After the demotion, I have; on several occassions, asked for explanation and a plan for progression and I have been given neither.

Do I have a case for discrimination?

Beth3

Do I have a case for discrimination? Not unless you can demonstrate that the reason you were demoted or have been passed over for other opportunities was because of a protected characteristic - age (if over 40), race, gender, national origin, handicap, religion, etc. Absent that being a factor, then it appears your employer concluded some years ago that they just don't see you as a promotable individual. There are usually more skills and attributes required to advance in an organization than just technical experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">