• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdvvm

I tried this in Tax Law but had no replies. Therefore, I am trying here.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

We had a boat that we 'donated' to a charity. To make a long story short, we were scammed and/or robbed of this boat and deduction. They claimed they would sell this boat for a value but instead ran it through a clearing house whom claimed in a matter of hours it could not be sold and sold it to themselves for less than $500. Now I am out a boat worth $6500 and the deduction value.

Can this loss be deducted as a loss? If not can it be a theft loss? Or do I have to go after these people in civil and criminal courts?

Thanks.
Mike D.

Last edited:

Santa Clause

Just read a case liek this

The case I read about was in Maryland, but similar to what you said here.

It was a theft case. THe man said he would sell a computer for a lady for 850.00, within 60 days and she signed and aggreement for him to do so.

He fled the state because of traffic violation, his friend took the computer and she got no money. He was caught up with though.

If you go to findlaw.com you can look up case in your state and the case I'm talking about.

It was under the Maryland Court of Appeals Opinions 1552952.txt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">