• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

btb726

Hi, my name is Barbara & I live in Brooklyn, New York.
Five years ago I was diagnosed with a rather large cyst in my left breast. My doctor sent me to see a surgeon & he said it must be removed. I had the surgery and about 3 oe 4 days later my breast opened up and the stitching tore apart. I immediately called my surgeon & he said just to keep it clean & that it could not be restitched as once it opens up it is considered dirty and you must let it close on its' own.
I saw him the next day & asked why this would happen when I was assured by him that no precautions were needed to be taken. I asked about this as I am very large breasted & thought that I would need to support them much better while the surgery was healing.
I am now left with a scar that makes me sick to look at it & my fiance is turned off by this too.
I have been to another doctor since this happened & wished I knew of him before I had the surgery. He said he never would have done the surgery the way he did it. I also have spoken to other women who have had this surgery & theirs was done by taking the area around the nipple off, not by the top of the breast.
I feel that this Doctor? should pay for this. I didn't think about it then as I am not the type to call lawyers, but I figured in time it may heal & look alot better than it does. It has not changed & it makes me sick!!!

Is there anything I can do?

B

btb726

Answer to Homegurus response

Yes, this surgeon is still in active service

P

PamSJS

Dear btb726;

If I'm not mistaken, the statute of limitations has expired, and therefore you have no recourse as far as a legal claim is concerned.

On the other hand, you state that this doctor is still practicing. I would suggest that you contact the medical licensing board in your state and file a formal complaint. An investigation will ensue, and if your doctor has violated any part of the New York Medical Practice Act or has acted outside of prevailing medical standards, he will be disciplined by the board.

You may not be the first or only person this doctor has injured. By failing to report this incident to the board, you are allowing him to continue his practice in this manner and possibly injure others, possibly even more seriously.

God bless you and good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">