• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a dental malpractice case? Should I pursue it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MALUJJ23

I was wanting to get braces and my dentist told me to pull my wisdom teeth in the back. I didn't think to much about it and he went ahead and got it done. In retrospect I should of done my wisdom teeth extraction with a oral surgeon. Anyway the dentist pulled my back wisdom teeth and both left and right side and inserted bone graft and a bone graft bed after 2 or 3 months that area still hasn't healed and is in extreme pain. The right side healed fine but the left side is still in pain. I had a follow up with dentist and he said bone grafts take time to heal and it just depends on the person. I was fine with this and then waited. 6 months has passed and that area is still in pain and upon my concern The dentist takes long time to return my emails or when I call tries to avoid me. I finally got appointment with dentist and found out my bone graft collapsed and now its fused with my trigeminal nerve and why I always feel pain in this area. Sometimes the pain is bad and other times its not but just varies day to day. The doctor then referred me to a oral surgeon and surgery was done to remove the bone graft fragments and then I waited for another few months. Still the area is in pain and the oral surgeon says he doesn't want to completely remove the graft that is attached to nerve because I could lose feeling in my left side and he can go in and just remove more bone fragments so I decided no at this point since I want all of the graft out of my mouth. I told My dentist about whats going on and he seems nervous and scared and said we had opportunity to take it out in the first 2 or 3 months but that time has passed because so much time has gone by. When I first went to follow up with the Dentist he said it would take time to heal and now he is saying should of been removed wth!
I finally got a referral to a 2nd oral surgeon and he looked at my x-rays and was pissed off saying he wanted to give the original dentist a piece of his mind for putting a bone graft in the wisdom teeth area and there was no need for this. I read online dentists dont need to put bone grafts in wisdom teeth area and this is just purely a money grab. A colleague of this 2nd oral surgeon came in the room and looked at x-ray too and told clearly I have injury to my trigeminal nerve and bone graft is pushing up against it and fused to nerve and why its causing all the pain. My surgery with him is still currently pending and he told he can try his best to use a microscope and put me under anesthesia and remove the bone graft completely but he would have to cut into or around the nerve but would be careful as possible but completely remove the graft.

My question is do I have a lawsuit and a case against my dentist who initially put the bone graft in when 3 oral surgeons said there was no need to put one in the first place and this is the main reason for all the complications, or I got no case since the dentist referred me to a surgeon and his obligation is over? He never really followed up with me or cared. I am the one who had to contact him telling my issue.
I am still suffering for over 1 year with pain, extra 2 surgeries because of his error, and just miserable for 1 year with this pain.

I am not even the type of person to sue because I feel like karma will come back to bite me but all my coworkers are telling me to sue him but I am unsure if I even have a valid case.
Still I have a surgery pending to actually get this bone graft out. I was supposed to also have braces on by now and this is delayed because of this as well.

MALUJJ23

I just want to know if I should pursue this and talk to any lawyers or is it not worth it? Its not really a money grab like most people who sue. I feel my dentist really did a unnecessary extra procedure by putting that graft in which lead to this circle of events.

quincy

I just want to know if I should pursue this and talk to any lawyers or is it not worth it? Its not really a money grab like most people who sue. I feel my dentist really did a unnecessary extra procedure by putting that graft in which lead to this circle of events.
From what the oral surgeons told you, it appears there could be a legal action to pursue against the dentist who did the bone grafts.

I suggest you take your dental records to a malpractice attorney for a personal review.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">