• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have a odometer fraud case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr hoff

South Carolina

i purchased a Pontiac from a local dealer with a recorded 114,000 some odd miles, got a car loan, have had the car for about 2 months when i checked the VIN vehicle history today looking for the paint code to discover on file it has in fact 155,000 miles. on the signed purchase paper agreement with my dealer it is written down as 114,000 with no odometer discrepancy. the odometer itself also reads 114 ish but not on the vin history.

adjusterjack

Good idea. But there are ways even the DMV records could be in error. I've had two such experiences that I won't bore you with.

You wrote that the VIN history shows 155,000 miles. Well, it must also show you other mileage readings taken at intervals over the life of the vehicle.

Give us all the dates and the readings from when the car was new until now..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's also possible that the odometer was replaced at some point and the dealer wouldn't know about it.

EDIT: Also, why didn't you check the "VIN history" prior to purchasing an 8+ year old car?

adjusterjack

It's also possible that the odometer was replaced at some point and the dealer wouldn't know about it.
It'd be a good idea to check a GM dealer for any in house repairs and/or service history. There would be odometer readings on those records.

When you say dealer, was it an official GM dealership or a small used car lot?
The reason I ask is that an official dealership has far too much to lose by tampering with an odometer to make a tiny bit of extra profit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">