• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a right to see my half sister?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

_ashkapash

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My half sister and I both live in CA. I am 23 years old and she is 9. When my sister was born we were both living with our mother and her father, whom I do not get a long with, and never have. I've been there through out my sisters whole life and we have always been very close. About 3 years ago my mom and my sisters dad split up. (they were never married). About a year after that my mother started getting into drugs, and she sunk into a deep depression. My mom lost everything. She moved in with me and my at the time boyfriend. When him and I split up I had to move from where we were living to my grandparents house, which is about 2 hours away. I called my aunt and let her know the situation begging her to just go get my sister. ( I knew my mom was doing drugs and didn't want her there) Instead my aunt called CPS, and my sisters father got involved. (who had not seen my sister in over a year.) After countless tears and many court dates my sisters father won custody. My sisters father does not allow me to even speak with my sister on the phone. Do I have any rights at all? Would I be able to get visitation? At least a phone call? I would appreciate any advice.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My half sister and I both live in CA. I am 23 years old and she is 9. When my sister was born we were both living with our mother and her father, whom I do not get a long with, and never have. I've been there through out my sisters whole life and we have always been very close. About 3 years ago my mom and my sisters dad split up. (they were never married). About a year after that my mother started getting into drugs, and she sunk into a deep depression. My mom lost everything. She moved in with me and my at the time boyfriend. When him and I split up I had to move from where we were living to my grandparents house, which is about 2 hours away. I called my aunt and let her know the situation begging her to just go get my sister. ( I knew my mom was doing drugs and didn't want her there) Instead my aunt called CPS, and my sisters father got involved. (who had not seen my sister in over a year.) After countless tears and many court dates my sisters father won custody. My sisters father does not allow me to even speak with my sister on the phone. Do I have any rights at all? Would I be able to get visitation? At least a phone call? I would appreciate any advice.
No. You really have no "rights" to your sister. But you should consult with a Family Law Attorney in you area.

BTW...Do you still live with your mother? Do yu know why the father is so against you having contact with his child?
Is your mother in rehab?

There is a reason I am asking these questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">