• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a right to sue the seller?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMS324

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OHIO

My boyfriend and I purchased a house (built in the 50's) on 9/16/05. We moved in the same day. The next night I was washing clothes and the washer started to do a draining cycle and the toilets in the house started bubbling up like geysers. We called a plumber out and they said that the piping underneath our front yard needs to be dug up and replaced. This will cost about $10,000. The owner did not disclose any sewer problems. What do we do? We have already spent $800.00 on the plumbers, and now we have to spend $10,000? To make matters worse, we found that the sellers cut a hole in the back of the house to put in the new hot water tank, and then they just covered it with siding. (We discovered it when the plumber and my boyfreind went into the crawl space, and my boyfriend grabbed the wall to slide in, and he fell flat on his back when the siding ripped off.) Also the agreement was for them to leave the lawn equipment, and a leaf blower is missing, along with the hose. We called our real estate agent, and she called the sellers agent, but we have not heard any word. Both of the neighbors say that they seen the seller give lawn equipment away. Please help!!! We are so frusterated. We just moved in about 48 hours ago, are there any lemon laws to protect us? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

pojo2

No lemon law.

Now get out the paperwork and see if you have a disclosure statement and see what that document says about the plumbing. If it is something they knew about then you may have a case to sue them.

But disclosure statements can not make them dig up the front yard in order to say the plumbing was fine.

AMS324

There was a disclosure statement and it said nothing about the plumbing at all. The previous owners had to notice something, because everytime the washer runs the toilets bubble up. What can I do about the hole in the wall? I am confused about this whole thing.

HomeGuru

AMS324 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OHIO

My boyfriend and I purchased a house (built in the 50's) on 9/16/05. We moved in the same day. The next night I was washing clothes and the washer started to do a draining cycle and the toilets in the house started bubbling up like geysers. We called a plumber out and they said that the piping underneath our front yard needs to be dug up and replaced. This will cost about $10,000. The owner did not disclose any sewer problems. What do we do? We have already spent $800.00 on the plumbers, and now we have to spend $10,000? To make matters worse, we found that the sellers cut a hole in the back of the house to put in the new hot water tank, and then they just covered it with siding. (We discovered it when the plumber and my boyfreind went into the crawl space, and my boyfriend grabbed the wall to slide in, and he fell flat on his back when the siding ripped off.) Also the agreement was for them to leave the lawn equipment, and a leaf blower is missing, along with the hose. We called our real estate agent, and she called the sellers agent, but we have not heard any word. Both of the neighbors say that they seen the seller give lawn equipment away. Please help!!! We are so frusterated. We just moved in about 48 hours ago, are there any lemon laws to protect us? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

**A: did you hire a home inspector and use a Realtor? Those are my only 2 main questions at this time.

Samm1970

Sounds like you have lot's of people to sue then. Get your purchase agreement, including sellers disclosure , your home inspection report, the plumbers bill/estimate and drive on down to your local real estate attorney's office for a friendly visit. Actually, you may want to call and schedule an appointment first.

John Se

your plumber needs his boat payment

Have a plumber look at it who can send a camera down the line many times there is just one section of line clogged with roots or collapsed, either way 10K is too much. Add it up, dig up X feet of line, replace, how does that add up to 10K, a back hoe costs about 600 a day and a plumber cost about 500 a day. so how can it take more that a couple of days? You are being taken for a ride. in the mean time run the laundry onto the grass.

AMS324

HomeGuru said:
**A: that's great. good job. Now contact them and request another site visit.
What good does another site visit do? I am just curious. I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to.

AMS324

John Se said:
Have a plumber look at it who can send a camera down the line many times there is just one section of line clogged with roots or collapsed, either way 10K is too much. Add it up, dig up X feet of line, replace, how does that add up to 10K, a back hoe costs about 600 a day and a plumber cost about 500 a day. so how can it take more that a couple of days? You are being taken for a ride. in the mean time run the laundry onto the grass.
Sorry, I overestimated in haste. We are going to be charged, $4700.00 to run the new sewer lines. It is only going to take one day. Thanx for your advice though. :)

AMS324

HomeGuru said:
**A: did I say for you to pay for these visits?
No, you did not, however, the inspector may charge, and I cannot afford it right now. However that doesn't my answer my question. Why should I have the inspector come out again? I am not trying to be complicated, I just need advice. :confused:

HomeGuru

AMS324 said:
No, you did not, however, the inspector may charge, and I cannot afford it right now. However that doesn't my answer my question. Why should I have the inspector come out again? I am not trying to be complicated, I just need advice. :confused:

**A: to have the inspector review his initial findings. Did he miss some problems that were there at the time of inspection? If not maybe he can give you some advice. Stop having tunnel vision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">