• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any legal responsibility as a free online tutoring service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Again, she said it was a free service. They will have no income therefore they cannot pay for an attorney or pay for background checks. As someone else already said this is a relatively risk-free situation. Would consulting with an attorney be the ideal thing to do, yes. However, if they cannot do it they cannot do it. So, either they proceed on as they planned or they don't do it at all.

kcnuf

Okay, but just out of curiosity if we got a verification email or phone call from the parents, would that suffice? Would I just mark down the date and time that the parent called / save the email in a folder for record keeping?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Again, she said it was a free service. They will have no income therefore they cannot pay for an attorney or pay for background checks.
There are many people who pay out of their own pocket for free services that they provide.
As someone else already said this is a relatively risk-free situation. Would consulting with an attorney be the ideal thing to do, yes. However, if they cannot do it they cannot do it. So, either they proceed on as they planned or they don't do it at all.
Um, yeah...ok

quincy

Okay, but just out of curiosity if we got a verification email or phone call from the parents, would that suffice? Would I just mark down the date and time that the parent called / save the email in a folder for record keeping?
That could work.

Will you be monitoring the students and their tutors? Parents can join in on Zoom meetings. So could you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">