• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any other options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CA

I was rear-ended on Halloween evening (2003) by a driver who had a driver's license and license plate from Oklahoma. Because it was my first accident, I only got his driver's license, license plate, and insurance policy numbers down, but I didn't get his local address. The estimate to fix my rear bumper is a little over $500. My collision deductibe is $500. My insurance company (AAA) has contacted his insurance company (Farmer's Insurance), but I'm being told that because both companies are finding it difficult to contact him via phone or mail, that I cannot get my deductible waived. My insurance has told me that they only option I have is to get my bumper fixed and pay the $500 deductible out-of-pocket, then start an arbitration with Farmer's to try to get reimbursed. Is this my only option? There is no police report or witnesses for the accident. Is there any other way to force the guy to take responsibility for the accident? Apparently the insurance companies are only willing to try to contact him, but they don't have to force him to respond. Is this true? Any input would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential