• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights as the separated spouse of a US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am an Australain married to a US citizen. We married in Dec 2000 and the day after the marriage it turned into a domestic violence situation. After 2 weeks of hell he threw me out. Now I am having to file for permanent residency and work authority on the grounds of domestic violence. I have no money and no income until I have permission from INS to work. He is on a full disability pension. All avenues I have explored have told me I am not entitled to anything. AFS said I have to be in the country for 10 years for food stamps. Medical told me unless I am giving birth or an emergency I can't get help. Is there any help at all for me in this postion. I have had no success with crisis centres for domestic violence. No one wants to know me or my situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential