• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to carry the same liability limits on my car insurance policy that my landlord has on their homeowners policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How can they add you if they know nothing about you but your name?

It's sounding more and more like they're treating you as a member of the household and not a tenant.

LdiJ

I did fail to mention that if I don't provide proof of a $500,000 liability limit by 6/14/19 they will add me to her policy automatically. So they're backing her into a corner as well.
Ok, then I am back to your landlord being scammed.

LdiJ

I did fail to mention that if I don't provide proof of a $500,000 liability limit by 6/14/19 they will add me to her policy automatically. So they're backing her into a corner as well.
The only think that I might suggest at this point is to make sure that its not renter's insurance that they are talking about.

hulingsd

How can they add you if they know nothing about you but your name?

It's sounding more and more like they're treating you as a member of the household and not a tenant.
That's what I've suggested too. The only info they have is my name and whatever she may have supplied them with. Here is their demand which says "as long as she's living in the home" but my LL swears they know I'm a tenant and I called the broker this morning (the woman on the email thread) to get clarification. She was rude and unpleasant and told me "in the home" didn't make a difference, I'm on the property.

Demand:

"LL,

We have been notified by Central Insurance Company that the OP'S auto policy must be endorsed to the same limits of liability as yours as long as she lives in your home. The limit must be 500,000 single limit. If we do not receive a copy of the endorsement to her auto policy prior to 6/14/19, Central will automatically add her to your policy.

Please give this your immediate attention."

LdiJ

That's what I've suggested too. The only info they have is my name and whatever she may have supplied them with. Here is their demand which says "as long as she's living in the home" but my LL swears they know I'm a tenant and I called the broker this morning (the woman on the email thread) to get clarification. She was rude and unpleasant and told me "in the home" didn't make a difference, I'm on the property.

Demand:
Again, that is totally bizarre. Your landlord needs to switch insurance companies.

PayrollHRGuy

Demand:
I would call the insurance agent back and clarify that you are a paying tenant and not a family member or friend.

hulingsd

I would call the insurance agent back and clarify that you are a paying tenant and not a family member or friend.
Oh I have. I don't know who the actual insurance company is, I can only speak with the broker. Makes me wonder if the broker is helping her lie about the situation. Seems far-fetched and I hate to think ill of her, but when something doesn't make sense it usually isn't right.

PayrollHRGuy

Oh I have. I don't know who the actual insurance company is, I can only speak with the broker. Makes me wonder if the broker is helping her lie about the situation. Seems far-fetched and I hate to think ill of her, but when something doesn't make sense it usually isn't right.
You actually do know the LL's insurance company. It was in the letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">