• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to go on paying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the correct category but I would like to ask about a legal advice. I have terminated a training course after a few months but the institute wants me to pay a full years fee. There is nothing explicitly written in the agreement form about going on paying after early termination. I have also spoken to a former member who cancelled after one workshop and who said she didn't have to pay more than the first monthly instalment.
Do I have to go on paying?

Here is an excerpt from the agreement form:
"I realise that I am responsible for the training fees and membership fees for this training year and that not paying them will jeopardise my place on my course. I understand that training fees and membership fees become due as soon as I attend a workshop.
If I find that I am unable to pay all or part of my training fees for this year I will immediately contact my course convenor and agree a new payment plan. This payment plan must be confirmed by an email from my course convenor or the office administrator. If I stop paying and do not contact my course convenor, or I renege on any new payment plan agreed then:
I will receive two requests for payment (these may be verbal, by text or by email).
I will receive a final request for payment by letter or email.
Following this, if I have not recommenced paying my fees - either as the original monthly payments or on a payment plan agreed with my course convenor and confirmed in writing - then I realise I will no longer be able to attend workshops. This means that to complete my training I will have to make up the training hours and I will have to pay extra for them.
I understand that I cannot complete my training course with monies owing to x. I understand that if I leave my course with monies owing to x, I will be pursued for those monies (this may include legal action on x part)."
I'm grateful for every answer!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?

I don't know why you think there is nothing explicitly written about you paying after you terminate the course. It's right there in the first sentence and the last sentence.

Hello, I'm actually living in the UK.
Yes I understand but shouldn't they state that you have to pay the fees in full if you terminate early?
I have read other contracts from institutes where it is explicitly written that you have to pay after you leave.

Zigner

Hello, I'm actually living in the UK.
Yes I understand but shouldn't they state that you have to pay the fees in full if you terminate early?
I have read other contracts from institutes where it is explicitly written that you have to pay after you leave.
First - this site deal with US law matters only.
Second - it DOES say that.

But why was it possible for my fellow trainee member to drop out without paying them anything extra? She just got back to me and wrote that she signed all paperwork as well.

Zigner

But why was it possible for my fellow trainee member to drop out without paying them anything extra? She just got back to me and wrote that she signed all paperwork as well.
Maybe they like her more.

You will want to seek legal advice in the UK. We can't do more than tell you the plain-English meaning of the words that are written.

Zigner

Well that might be true but likeability can't be the basis of a contract. Thank you very much anyway
See - you'd be wrong about that.

ETA: Both parties are free to negotiate changes to the contract. If both sides agree to a change, then a change can be made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">