• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to hire a lawyer???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LioAnd

What is the name of your state? Colorado,
I have 2 charges "Careless driving" & "Hit and Run". My left mirror bumped her arm while I made a left turn and I passed her away. It was a Green right and she was still standing there. But she called police on me later. Although I didn't get arrested, I'm supposed to go to court for summon next month. My husband insists that I don't need to hire a lawyer. Since she doesn't get injured seriously, DA may drop my charge, he thinks. However, on 2009 I got arrested for a DUI. I had no criminal record before. DA offered me a deferred FELONY provided 2 yrs probation, because I ran away from patrol cars when I was pulled over. Although I faced a felony charge of eluding, my probation ended in July 6, 2012. I have such a history. Do I have any possibility that DA drop my case??? Do I have to hire a lawyer to go to court for my first summon next month?

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You are never required to hire an attorney. But for the charges you face hiring an attorney would be a very good idea. I'll assume that your husband is not a lawyer and thus he likely has very little knowledge about what the particular DAs in your county are apt to do. The fact that she was not "seriously injured" however isn't likely to get the charges dropped. The DA might be willing to offer a plea to something less serious or drop one of the two charges though. I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what happened here that would have caused your right side view mirror to hit some ones arm while you were making a left hand turn and the details would matter. But if you knew you had hit her you had to stop. Note that if you are found guilty or plead guilty to this and she has suffered some injuries that will make it easier to sue you for those injuries. If you have not notified your insurance carrier of this you likely need to do that ASAP. Failing to notify the insurer may result in the insurer refusing to pay and refusing to provide you a defense if he sues.

LioAnd

You are never required to hire an attorney. But for the charges you face hiring an attorney would be a very good idea. I'll assume that your husband is not a lawyer and thus he likely has very little knowledge about what the particular DAs in your county are apt to do. The fact that she was not "seriously injured" however isn't likely to get the charges dropped. The DA might be willing to offer a plea to something less serious or drop one of the two charges though. I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what happened here that would have caused your right side view mirror to hit some ones arm while you were making a left hand turn and the details would matter. But if you knew you had hit her you had to stop. Note that if you are found guilty or plead guilty to this and she has suffered some injuries that will make it easier to sue you for those injuries. If you have not notified your insurance carrier of this you likely need to do that ASAP. Failing to notify the insurer may result in the insurer refusing to pay and refusing to provide you a defense if he sues.
Taxing Matters, Thank you very much for your reply!
Sorry, I corrected "My left mirror bumped her right arm when I made a left tern."
I may not go to a jail but I will face the suspension of my driving license, if I don't hire a criminal lawyer this time, I assume.
Of course, I've already reported this accident to my Auto Insurance company! They've promised to protect me, therefore I don't have to hire a lawyer for this settlement. She or her parent hasn't sue me and my Insurance carrier yet, according my insurance adjuster.

Sincerely,

Just Blue

Taxing Matters, Thank you very much for your reply!
Sorry, I corrected "My left mirror bumped her right arm when I made a left tern."
I may not go to a jail but I will face the suspension of my driving license, if I don't hire a criminal lawyer this time, I assume.
Of course, I've already reported this accident to my Auto Insurance company! They've promised to protect me, therefore I don't have to hire a lawyer for this settlement. She or her parent hasn't sue me and my Insurance carrier yet, according my insurance adjuster.

Sincerely,
How old was the woman? Girl? that you hit?

adjusterjack

I've already reported this accident to my Auto Insurance company! They've promised to protect me,
For an injury claim.

The criminal charges do not get you protection under your auto liability policy.

I have 2 charges "Careless driving" & "Hit and Run".
Careless driving without serious bodily injury - Up to 90 days in jail and/or up to $300 fine. 4 points on your license. With serious injury up to one year in jail and/or fine of up to $1000.

Hit and run - Misdemeanor 10 days or more in jail, fine, loss of license. Serious injury makes it a felony.

You need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">