• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to show up to court if i have a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ouikikazz

What is the name of your state? NY....TICKET and court is in NJ

My question is if i get a lawyer do i have to personally appear to the court date? I just want to get a plea bargain...if i show up to court i miss something REALLY important for school, theres a makeup assignment but its more on the experience of the class than the work. I'd basically miss out on a big portion of the class and i'd be left out of the loop the whole semester as to what happened that day. I tried changing the court date but i couldn't get it changed.

So do i need to show up if i dont have a lawyer....can i even get a friend/family member to show up for me in my place?

snostar

An attorney can usually represent you without you being present. Depending on what the ticket is for this may or may not be a good idea. No, you cannot send a friend/family member in your place unless they are licensed attorney there to represent your interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">